Larrakeyah Barracks, incorporating HMAS Coonawarra, is the main base for the Australian Defence Force in the Northern Territory of Australia, and occupies the headland west of the suburb of Larrakeyah in the capital, Darwin. It was established in 1932–33, with building commencing in earnest in 1934, although many of the oldest structures were built in the early years of World War II.
The base is on a mostly level headland running east-west, some 25 metres above the ocean. Darwin Naval Base is on a lower area on the south side, incorporating some reclaimed land. Coordinates:
The base is bounded to the east by the suburb of Larrakeyah, to the south by HMAS Coonawarra and the boat harbour on Darwin Harbour, to the west by Emery Point overlooking the approaches to Darwin Harbour, and the north by Cullen Bay.
- Command Blockhouse;
- Emery Point—also important to the Larrakia people as a place associated with the teaching of young boys;
- Headquarters Building;
- Sergeants Mess; and
- Darwin Mobile Force buildings.
ADF units at Larrakeyah include:
- Headquarters NORFORCE;
- HMAS Coonawarra—base supporting the Royal Australian Navy's patrol boat and small amphibious craft forces;
- Elements of the Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers;
- Army Watercraft Troop; and
- Elements of NORFORCE.
- "Larrakeyah Barracks Headquarters Building, Fullarton Pl, Larrakeyah, NT, Australia (entry AHD14937)". Australian Heritage Database. Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities. Retrieved 2009-09-27.
- Jobson 2009, p. 104.
- Heritage Management - Defence Heritage Register - NT, DoD, accessed 2009-09-26
- "Emery Point Precinct, Allen Av, Larrakeyah, NT, Australia (entry AHD17692)". Australian Heritage Database. Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities.
- Jobson, Christopher (2009). Looking Forward, Looking Back: Customs and Traditions of the Australian Army. Wavell Heights, Queensland: Big Sky Publishing. ISBN 9780980325164.
|This article about the military of Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|