January 22, 1973 |
Louisville, Kentucky, U.S.
|Children||Dannielynn Hope Marshall Birkhead|
Larry E. Birkhead (born January 22, 1973) is a former partner of American Playboy model Anna Nicole Smith and is the father of her daughter, Dannielynn. He was in a child custody battle for his daughter until DNA results proved his paternity.
Birkhead, the son of Larry L. Birkhead and Nancy Birkhead, is a native of Louisville, Kentucky. Birkhead has a twin brother, Lewis, as well as a sister, Angela Heuser, and a half-sister, Judy Birkhead. He graduated in 1991 from Louisville's Doss High School. He currently resides in Burbank, California.
Claim of paternity
When Smith died on February 8, 2007, Birkhead filed an emergency order to obtain custody of the child. He had the support of Smith's mother, Virgie Arthur, in his claim that he was the father of Smith's then five-month-old daughter.
Although several men also claimed paternity (including Howard K. Stern, Mark Hatten, Frédéric Prinz von Anhalt, and Smith's former bodyguard, Alexander Denk), a DNA test provided by Michael L. Baird, proved that Birkhead had fathered Smith's infant daughter, then named Dannielynn Hope Marshall Stern. Smith had claimed that her attorney and partner, Stern, was the father.
In April 2007, a Bahamian court ordered custody of Dannielynn to be transferred from Stern to Birkhead, who corrected her birth certificate to show him as father and renamed her Dannielynn Hope Marshall Birkhead. Birkhead then refused to allow Arthur or any of Smith's family around Dannielynn.
- Ancestry.com. U.S. Public Records Index database on-line. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2005.
- "Little Known About Louisville Native Larry Birkhead". WLKY. 2007-04-11. Retrieved 2007-04-13.
- Fenton, Angie (2007-02-10). "Larry's last words to Anna". The Courier-Journal. Retrieved 2007-02-12.[dead link]
- "DNA Test: Birkhead Is Dannielynn's Father". People. 2007-04-10. Retrieved 2007-04-10.
- "Birkhead's 'I Told You So' Moment". ABC News. 2007-04-10. Retrieved May 13, 2013.
- "Attorney: I'm Anna Nicole's baby's father". CNN. 2006-09-27. Retrieved 2007-02-17.