Keith and Joanna Miles in All My Children, 1972.
|Born||Lawrence Jay Korn
March 4, 1931
Brooklyn, New York, U.S.
|Died||July 17, 2010
Manhattan, New York, U.S.
Larry Keith (March 4, 1931 – July 17, 2010) was an American actor who was a longtime cast member on the ABC soap opera All My Children and was the first American to play the role of Henry Higgins in the Broadway production of My Fair Lady.
He was born on March 4, 1931, in Brooklyn as Lawrence Jay Korn and adopted his stage name when he started acting. His early training was as a singer, and he earned a Bachelor of Music degree from Brooklyn College. He was drafted while he was a graduate student in music at Indiana University and spent his time in the United States Army performing in shows for troops stationed in South Korea.
In the 1961 Broadway production of My Fair Lady, Keith served as an understudy to Michael Allinson and played the role of Higgins some 50 times. In an interview with the New York Herald Tribune before his first stage appearance as Higgins, Keith said he doubted that he could get away with a plummy British accent in England, "but I think I can in New York". In 1992, Keith was one of the founders of TACT (The Actors Company Theatre), which has the mission of presenting "neglected or rarely produced plays of literary merit", appearing in its productions of Eccentricities of a Nightingale and Bedroom Farce. Keith also appeared on Broadway in Titanic in 1997 in the role of Macy's owner Isidor Straus who sang the song Still to his wife Ida as the boat was sinking into the ocean. In Caroline, or Change in 2004, Keith played the role of Mr. Stopnick.
He played the role of restaurateur Nick Davis on All My Children, appearing regularly from its inception in 1970 until 1978 and then made guest appearances in that role in the ensuing years. He appeared in television in Damages and several times on Law & Order.
A resident of Manhattan, Keith died there at age 79 on July 17, 2010, due to complications from lung cancer. He was survived by his ex-wife, the former Mina Wagman, as well as by a daughter and a grandchild.
- 1967–1968; 1969: Another World
- 1970–1978, 1983, 1984, 1988, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1997, 2005: All My Children
- 1979–1980: The Baxters
- 1981: The Wave
- 1983: Kennedy
- 1986: Stingray
- 1990; 1992; 1996; 2008: Law & Order
- 2010: Damages
- "Larry Keith, AMC's Nick Davis, dead at 79". AMC News. Retrieved 2010-07-20.
- Fox, Margalit. "Larry Keith, Television and Stage Actor, Dies at 79", The New York Times, July 21, 2010. Accessed July 21, 2010.
- Simonson, Robert. "Larry Keith, Broadway Actor, Dies at 79", Playbill, July 19, 2010. Accessed July 22, 2010.
- Larry Keith at the Internet Movie Database
- Larry Keith in the Internet Broadway Database
- Actor Larry Keith Dies At Age 79 Obituary at BroadwayWorld.com