|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2007)|
Sloman at the 2009 Tribeca Film Festival
|Pen name||Larry "Ratso" Sloman|
Larry "Ratso" Sloman is a New York-based author best known for his collaboration with Howard Stern on the radio personality's two best-selling books, Private Parts and Miss America. He also appears in all of Kinky Friedman's mystery novels as the Dr. Watson to Kinky's Sherlock. Sloman wrote an account of Bob Dylan's 1975 Rolling Thunder Revue tour, On the Road with Bob Dylan. He has also penned Reefer Madness, a history of marijuana use in the United States, Thin Ice, an account of one season with the New York Rangers hockey team, Steal This Dream, an oral biography of Abbie Hoffman.
His latest book, The Secret Life of Houdini, written with magic historian William Kalush, presented research that attempted to prove that early 20th-century American magician Harry Houdini was a spy. The authors also raised the possibility that Houdini had been murdered by a cabal of Spiritualists, prompting Houdini's great-nephew to call for an exhumation of the magician's body to test for poisoning. Sloman's other collaborations include Mysterious Stranger, with the magician David Blaine and Scar Tissue, the autobiography of the Red Hot Chili Peppers lead singer Anthony Kiedis.
Starting in 1985, for a few years Sloman served as executive editor of National Lampoon magazine.
- Sloman, Larry (1979). Reefer Madness: The History of Marijuana in America. Bobbs-Merrill. ISBN 978-0-672-52423-3.
- Sloman, Larry (1982). Thin Ice: A Season in Hell with the New York Rangers. Morrow. ISBN 978-0-688-00628-0.
- Stern, Howard; Larry Sloman (1993-10). Judith Regan, ed. Private Parts (1st ed. ed.). New York, New York: Simon & Schuster. ISBN 978-0-671-88016-3. OCLC 28968496.
- Stern, Howard; Larry Sloman (1995-11). Judith Regan, ed. Miss America (1st edition ed.). Regan Books. ISBN 978-0-06-039167-6.
- Sloman, Larry; Howard Stern (1998-08). [Steal This Dream: Abbie Hoffman and the Countercultural Revolution in America Steal This Dream: Abbie Hoffman and the Countercultural Revolution in America]. Doubleday. ISBN 978-0-385-41162-2.
- Sloman, Larry; Kinky Friedman (2002-08). On the Road With Bob Dylan. Three Rivers Press. ISBN 978-1-4000-4596-9.
- Kiedis, Anthony; Larry Sloman (2004-10). Scar Tissue. Hyperion. ISBN 978-1-4013-0101-9.
- Kalush, William; Larry Sloman (2006-10). The Secret Life of Houdini: The Making of America's First Superhero. Simon & Schuster. ISBN 978-0-7432-7207-0.
- Criss, Peter; Larry Sloman (2013). Makeup to Breakup: My Life In and Out of KISS. Simon & Schuster. ISBN 978-1-4516-2082-5.
References and notes
- Bienstock, David (2003-01-27). "Bob and Ratso: Larry Sloman goes On the Road with Bob Dylan.". High Times. Retrieved 2007-12-30.
- "Larry Sloman". Bold Type. Random House. Retrieved 2007-12-30.
- Larry "Ratso" Sloman website
- Website at SimonSays.com
- Larry 'Ratso' Sloman at the Internet Movie Database
- November 2006 Interview by Leon Charney on The Leon Charney Report]
|This article about a United States writer of non-fiction is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|