Larry Thomas (actor)
Thomas at the Big Apple Convention in Manhattan, October 1, 2010.
1951 (age 61–62)
Brooklyn, New York
|Years active||1980 – present|
Larry Thomas (born Larry Tomashoff, 1961) is an American actor, best known for his role as "The Soup Nazi" on Seinfeld. He has appeared in a number of films, TV shows, and commercials, and appears at autograph-signing shows across the country. He was also nominated for an Emmy Award for his Seinfeld appearance.
Larry Thomas is best known for his role as the "Soup Nazi" on the television sitcom Seinfeld. The role earned him an Emmy Award nomination in 1996 in the category of Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series.
Prior to acting, Thomas had jobs as a bailbondsman, bartender, and janitor.
In 1997, he made a cameo appearance as the black jack dealer in Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery. In 2004, he guest-starred as himself in the Scrubs episode "My Self-Examination". He also played a Soup Nazi-like "food cop" in a commercial for the Center for Consumer Freedom. That same year he guest-starred in the television series Drake & Josh as Mr. Galloway in the episode "2 Idiots and a Baby."
In 2006, Thomas made an appearance in the independent comedy feature Spaced Out (which includes a variation of his famous "No Soup For You" line). This was the start of a working relationship with Boomstick Films which includes co-starring roles in Not Another B Movie, Dr. Spine, and the award-winning Paranormal Activity spoof Paranormal Calamity.
In other recent roles of note, Larry has portrayed each of the two most iconic Middle Eastern villains of American history. In 2006, he guest-starred in Arrested Development as a Saddam Hussein lookalike. An earlier joke had one character having a photo taken with the real Saddam, after mistaking him for Thomas. Thomas also played the role of Osama bin Laden in Uwe Boll's 2008 shock comedy film Postal.
In 2009, Thomas appeared in the independent feature Untitled Horror Comedy playing the role of "Dwayne."
In 2006, Thomas began selling autographed photographs of himself through catalogs such as Wall Street Creations Inc., glaring at the camera in chef's garb, with the handwritten notation "No soup for you!"
In 2012, he again appeared as the Soup Nazi while touring the United States with a Seinfeld food truck, allowing fans to pose with him and signing autographs.
In 2013, Serbu Firearms refused to sell their model BFG-50A semi-automatic .50 rifles to the New York City Police Department after the passage of the NY SAFE Act that classified their weapon as an assault rifle. Refusal to sell to states that have outlawed the sale of firearms to the public under the heading of assault rifles has become more common. Following their refusal to sell the rifles, Serbu then had tee shirts printed with an image of the classic Seinfeld character The Soup Nazi, played by actor Thomas, and the words "No Serbu For You". Thomas, a gun control advocate, contacted Facebook and the T-shirt printers to have the shirts removed. Serbu has since removed the image of Thomas and replaced it with one of their founder Mark Serbu.
- "Con-tamination 2010". Riverfront Times. 2010. Retrieved 11 May 2011. "Larry Thomas, best known as Seinfeld's 'Soup Nazi,' talked to fans, signed ladles, and told tales of celebrity encounters of his own."
- Press Release | Seinfeld’s “Soup Nazi” Stars as Food Cop in New Ad
- Boomstick Films - Films
- "Actor Larry Thomas appears at Mets game in character as Soup Nazi from 'Seinfeld'". The Washington Post (New York). Associated Press. 8 May 2011. Retrieved 11 May 2011. "Actor Larry Thomas, who played the ornery soup genius on the TV show 'Seinfeld' appeared — in character — to give DVD prizes to fans at Citi Field who correctly answered trivia questions about the show."
- staff (2013-04-02). "Soup Nazi fires off over guns". New York Post. Retrieved 2013-04-25.
- Berman, Jillian (2013-04-03). "Larry Thomas, 'Soup Nazi' Actor, Pushes Serbu Firearms To Pull Pro-Gun T-Shirt Featuring His Face". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2013-04-25.
- Higginbotham, David (2013-04-09). "No Serbu For You, Soup Nazi Wants His Image Back". guns.com. Retrieved 2013-04-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Larry Thomas.|