May 8, 1989 |
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight||210 lb (95 kg; 15 st 0 lb)|
St. Louis Blues
|NHL Draft||13th overall, 2007
St. Louis Blues
Lars Fosgaard Eller (born May 8, 1989) is a Danish professional ice hockey player currently playing for the Montreal Canadiens organization of the National Hockey League (NHL). He was drafted by the St. Louis Blues in the first round, 13th overall in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.
In the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, he was drafted 13th overall by the St. Louis Blues. He was the highest ever drafted Danish born and trained player in NHL history until friend and former teammate Mikkel Bødker was selected as number eight overall by the Phoenix Coyotes in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. (Danish-born Jan Popiel was drafted tenth overall in the 1964 NHL Amateur Draft but grew up in and became a citizen of Canada before making his pro debut.)
Eller moved to North America for the 2009–10 season. His preseason was spoiled by mononucleosis and as a result, he started the season in Peoria. He was called up by St. Louis and made his NHL debut on November 5, 2009 in a game against the Calgary Flames in which the Blues lost 2-1. He scored the only Blues goal, beating Miikka Kiprusoff off of a deflection and had three shots on goal in 9:42 minutes of ice time. Eller appeared in five NHL games before returning to the Peoria Rivermen, finishing the season with seven games for the St-Louis Blues.
On June 17, 2010, he was traded by the Blues to the Montreal Canadiens, along with Ian Schultz, in exchange for goaltender Jaroslav Halák. In the 2010–11 season on November 24, 2010, Eller scored his first goal with the Canadiens, wristing one past Los Angeles Kings goaltender Jonathan Bernier.
On January 4, 2012, Eller scored 4 goals and an assist in a 7-3 victory against the Winnipeg Jets, his first career hat trick. He was the first Montreal Canadien to score 4 goals in one game since Jan Bulis in 2006.
On May 2, 2013, an open ice check from Ottawa Senators' defenseman Eric Gryba knocked Eller unconscious during a playoff game at Centre Bell. He was later diagnosed with a concussion, along with dental and facial damage.
Regular season and playoffs
|2009–10||St. Louis Blues||NHL||7||2||0||2||4||—||—||—||—||—|
|Competitor for Denmark|
|IIHF World U18 Championship|
|Silver||2006 Latvia||Division I Group B|
|Gold||2007 Poland||Division I Group B|
|World Junior Ice Hockey Championships|
|Gold||2007 Denmark||Division I Group A|
|Silver||2009 Denmark||Division I Group B|
|Junior int'l totals||26||16||23||39||87|
|Senior int'l totals||20||5||7||12||22|
His father, Olaf Eller, is a former Danish international ice hockey player and former coach of several teams in the Superisligaen, as well as Troja/Ljungby in Sweden. Olaf Eller is also a color commentator for Danish TV 2 Sport for the IIHF World Championships and occasionally for games in the AL-Bank Ligaen. He is also head coach of Esbjerg IK. His younger brother Mads (born 1995) plays junior hockey for Frölunda HC and represented Denmark at the 2012 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships.
Eller is married and has a daughter.
- "European scouting service final rankings- April 07" (PDF). National Hockey League. April 2007. Retrieved 2008-08-25.
- Bill Meltzer (2007-06-13). "Eller & Frölunda". National Hockey League. Retrieved 2010-02-03.
- Bill Meltzer (2007-06-25). "Eller aims to reward Blues' faith". National Hockey League. Retrieved 2010-02-03.
- "Eller grabs top rookie honor for march". American Hockey League. 2010-04-01. Retrieved 2010-04-01.
- "2009-10 All-Rookie Team announced". American Hockey League. 2010-04-07. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- "Canadiens deal goaltender Halak to Blues". TSN. June 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- "Price, Eller lead the way in Canadiens' win over Kings". The Sports Network. 2010-11-24. Retrieved 2010-11-24.
- The Canadian Press (2013-05-02). "Habs' Lars Eller injury overshadows Senators' win". CBC Sports.
- Merk, Martin (2010-11-02). "Danish help for Iceland". IIHF. Retrieved 2010-11-02.
- Lars Eller's career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- Lars Eller's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
- Lars Eller – player profile and career stats at European Hockey.Net
|Awards and achievements|
|St. Louis Blues first round draft pick