||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
Lars Herman Folke Gyllenhaal (born July 9, 1968) is a Swedish author. He writes about military history and in particular, about Swedish involvement in wars of the 20th century. In 2011, Gyllenhaal was awarded "Citizen of the Year" of Piteå for his contribution to military history.
Gyllenhaal is the only child of former press counsellor to the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs and member of the Gyllenhaal family of Swedish nobility, Herman Gyllenhaal and nurse Monica Gyllenhaal, née Wennerholm. Gyllenhaal married Ann-Sofie Gyllenhaal, née Svensson. They have one son and one daughter. The family live in Piteå in North Sweden.
Education and career
In 1994, Gyllenhaal returned to Sweden to join Centek, an industry and management development foundation, as a project manager. Six years later, Gyllenhaal left Centek to devote his time to his work on military history and the history of the Barents Region.
Gyllenhaal has provided research for several World War II documentary films such as "Krieg in der Arktis" (War in the Arctic) by Jens Becker and Ralf Daubitz and the prize-winning "Blood Road" and "Under a Rusty Star", both by Gunilla Bresky.
In 2005, Gyllenhaal's book, Swedes at War 1914-1945 (co-written with Lennart Westberg) was nominated for "Swedish History Book of the Year". Since 2005, Gyllenhaal has been an elected member of the Swedish Military History Commission and has been engaged in the development of the Swedish Defense Museum in Boden.
- Kola - en guide published 1993 by AmuGruppen Norr, ISBN 91-630-2240-0
- Slaget om Nordkalotten (The Battle of the North Calotte), with James F. Gebhardt. ISBN 91-88930-68-8, published 1999 by Historiska Media (first paperback edition 2001) ISBN 91-89442-26-1
- Svenskar i krig 1914-1945 (Swedes at War 1914-1945), with Lennart Westberg. ISBN 91-85057-08-8, published 2004 by Historiska Media
- Svenskar i krig 1914-1945 revised and expanded. Paperback edition published by Historiska Media 2006, ISBN 978-91-85377-98-5, ISBN 91-85377-98-8.
- Victims, Victors (as the book's editor) by Roman Kravchenko-Berezhnoy, published 2007 by The Aberjona Press, ISBN 0-9717650-6-5
- Elitförband i Norden (Élite military units in the Nordic countries), published 2009 by Fischer & Co. ISBN 978-91-85183-76-0
- Swedes at War - Willing Warriors of a Neutral Nation, 1914-1945, with Lennart Westberg, translated by Carl Gustav Finstrom published 2010 by The Aberjona Press, ISBN 978-0-9777563-1-5
- Tyskar och allierade i Sverige - Svensk krigshistoria i nytt ljus (Germans and Allies in Sweden - Swedish War History in a New Light) Published 2011 by Fischer & Co. ISBN 978-91-86597-08-5
- Avgörande ögonblick under andra världskriget (2011, Semic)
- Kalla kriget (The Cold War), anthology ed. Kurt Almqvist & Kristian Gerner. (2012, Atlantis) ISBN 978-91-89672-45-1
- Spökpatrullen (Ghost Patrol) by Karl-Gunnar Norén & Lars Gyllenhaal (2012, Fischer & Co) ISBN 9789186597290
- Ryska elitförband - Spetsnaz, Osnaz, VDV och andra elitstyrkor av Joakim von Braun & Lars Gyllenhaal (2013, Fischer & Co) ISBN 978-9186597-54-2
-  personal blog