May 6, 1964 |
Gladsaxe, Copenhagen, Denmark
|Known for||The Killing, Borgen, Sherlock|
|Spouse(s)||Anette Støvelbæk (m. 1989)|
|Family||Mads Mikkelsen (brother)|
Lars Dittmann Mikkelsen (born May 6, 1964) is a Danish actor perhaps best known to international TV audiences for his roles in the drama series Forbrydelsen, later released worldwide as The Killing. Other notable roles include Charles Augustus Magnussen, the primary villain in the third series of Sherlock, and the Russian President Viktor Petrov in House of Cards on Netflix. He is the older brother of actor Mads Mikkelsen.
Mikkelsen was born in Gladsaxe near Copenhagen and his younger brother is the actor Mads Mikkelsen. After secondary school he enrolled for military service in the Royal Danish Army. He then studied biology at the University of Copenhagen but gave up the course to earn his living as a street performer in European cities with his mime and juggling acts.
At the age of 27 he enrolled at the National Theatre School of Denmark from which he graduated in 1995. In addition to his role in the drama series released worldwide as The Killing he subsequently appeared in two other internationally acclaimed Danish drama series, Those Who Kill and Borgen III. He also had a leading role in an episode of the BBC drama Sherlock as Charles Augustus Magnussen, an intelligent and quietly dominant villain who blackmails his victims and is loathed by Sherlock.
In addition to his native Danish, Mikkelsen speaks fluent Swedish, German and English, and he has mastered various accents. He has stated that he and his brother first picked up English by listening to Monty Python records and learning the comedy sketches.
|2000||Kira's Reason: A Love Story
|2007||De fortabte sjæles ø||Steso's father|
|Cecilie||Lasse N. Damgaard|
|2008||What No One Knows
(Det som ingen ved)
|2008||Flame & Citron(Flammen & Citronen)||Frode Jacobsen aka Ravnen|
|Headhunter||Martin Vinge||Robert Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role|
|2012||What Richard Did||Peter Karlsen|
|A Caretaker's Tale||Per|
|2014||When Animals Dream||Thor|
|2015||9. April||Lieutenant-Colonel Hintz|
|1997||Strisser på Samsø||Jens Fiskrt||episodes 1–4, 6|
|Taxa||Drug addict||Episode 8|
|Skjulte spor||Morten Theilgaard|
|2001||Langt fra Las Vegas||Pirate captain|
|2001||Nikolaj og Julie||Per Køller||episodes 10–20|
|2004–2007||Krøniken||Jens Otto Krag||episodes 2–3, 9, 11, 14–15, 17 og 21–22|
|2011||Those Who Kill||Magnus Bisgaard|
|2014||Sherlock||Charles Augustus Magnussen||series 3|
|1864||Thøger Larsen||episodes 1–2|
|2015||House of Cards||Viktor Petrov||Season 3|
|The Team||Harold Bjørn|
- Huset Anubis (2010) – Hr. Van Swieten
- Tiger-brødre (2004) – Aidan McRory
- Arthur and the Invisibles (2006) – Malthazar
- The Wild (2006) – Samson
- Go West! A Lucky Luke Adventure (2007) – Lucky Luke
- Bee Movie (2007) – Ken
- Meet the Robinsons (2007) – Onkel Arthur
- Monsters vs. Aliens (2009) – General O.K. MacMission
- The Dam Keeper (short) (2014) – The Narrator
- "The Killing's Lars Mikkelsen: 'Danish newspapers are talking about you raving about it'", The Telegraph, 4 April 2011. Accessed 5 January 2014
- Erlendsson, Kirsten (30 January 2007). "Lars Mikkelsen: Det var smøgerne eller livet". B.T. Retrieved 30 December 2010.
- best-actors-in-the-world/ Lars Mikkelsen interview at Leeds Student. Retrieved 13 January 2014
- Vicky Frost, "Has Denmark run out of TV actors?", The Guardian, 22 February 2012. Accessed 5 January 2014
- Lars Mikkelsen interview at BBC mediacentre. Retrieved 13 January 2013
- Schelin, Karen Magrethe (19 September 2009). "Jeg nåede aldrig at være en umulig teenager". Berlingske Tidende. Retrieved 30 December 2010. with whom he has two sons, Lue and Thor.
- "Anette Støvelbæk fejrer sølvbryllup med Lars Mikkelsen: Håber han er hjemme". SeOgHoer (in Danish). Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- "Lars Mikkelsens børn vil også på scenenFilmdatabase". SeOgHoer (in Danish). Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- Amidi, Amid. "Confirmation of Lars Mikkelsen in Trailer". Cartoon Brew. Cartoon Brew. Retrieved 27 January 2015.