Larson's Book of World Religions and Alternative Spirituality
|Larson's Book of World Religions and Alternative Spirituality|
2004 Revised ed.
|Publisher||Tyndale House Publishers|
|2004 (Revised ed.)|
|Preceded by||Larson's New Book of Cults (1989)|
Larson's Book of World Religions and Alternative Spirituality is a non-fiction book by Bob Larson, American author and television evangelist. It discusses cults, New Age movements, and alternative religions from a biblical and Christian perspective. The back cover describes the book as "An indispensable reference tool for parents, students, and pastors alike" and that "Bob Larson analyzes the history, practices and appeal of each movement and evaluates its beliefs system from a Christian perspective using biblical criteria."
The revised edition was published in paperback in 2004, by Tyndale House Publishers.
Groups, movements and individuals discussed in the book include UFO religions, Scientology, the New Age movement, Aum Shinrikyo, Meher Baba, Sufism, Children of God, Divine Light Mission, Deepak Chopra, Aleister Crowley, Werner Erhard, Erhard Seminars Training, and Landmark Forum, Falun Gong, Hare Krishna, Heaven's Gate, Peoples Temple, and many other groups.
"In our modern spiritual "marketplace," belief is up for grabs-it's "experience" that counts while objective truth is denounced. Get fresh Bible-based insight into the confusing profusion of religious systems and cults.
- Back cover, 2004 edition
- Larson, Bob (2004). Larson's Book of World Religions and Alternative Spirituality. Tyndale House Publishers. ISBN 0-8423-6417-X.
- Author Bio, profile on Bob Larson at the publisher's Web site.
- Book listing, at publisher's Web site, Tyndale House Publishers
- Excerpted first Chapter, available at Publisher's Web site.
- "Be Wise as Serpents - Harmless as Doves", Michael Bradley, book listed under Recommended Reading