Las Animas County, Colorado
|Las Animas County, Colorado|
Las Animas County Courthouse in Trinidad, Colorado
Location in the state of Colorado
Colorado's location in the U.S.
|Founded||February 9, 1866|
|Named for||Animas River|
|• Total||4,775.42 sq mi (12,368 km2)|
|• Land||4,772.63 sq mi (12,361 km2)|
|• Water||2.79 sq mi (7 km2), 0.06%|
|• Density||2/sq mi (1/km²)|
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
Las Animas County has the largest area of the 64 counties of the State of Colorado of the United States. Las Animas County takes its name from the Mexican Spanish name of the Purgatoire River, originally called El Río de las Ánimas Perdidas en Purgatorio, which means "River of the Lost Souls in Purgatory." The county's population was 15,507 at the 2010 census, an increase from 15,207 in 2000. The county seat is Trinidad.
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 4,775.42 square miles (12,368.3 km2), of which 4,772.63 square miles (12,361.1 km2) (or 99.94%) is land and 2.79 square miles (7.2 km2) (or 0.06%) is water.
- Otero County, Colorado - north
- Pueblo County, Colorado - north
- Bent County, Colorado - northeast
- Baca County, Colorado - east
- Union County, New Mexico - south
- Colfax County, New Mexico - southwest
- Costilla County, Colorado - west
- Huerfano County, Colorado - northwest
As of the census of 2000, there were 15,207 people, 6,173 households, and 4,092 families residing in the county. The population density was 3 people per square mile (1/km²). There were 7,629 housing units at an average density of 2 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 82.63% White, 0.39% Black or African American, 2.54% Native American, 0.37% Asian, 0.20% Pacific Islander, 10.03% from other races, and 3.83% from two or more races. 41.45% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 6,173 households out of which 28.80% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.90% were married couples living together, 11.60% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.70% were non-families. 29.70% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.30% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.40 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the county the population was spread out with 24.20% under the age of 18, 7.90% from 18 to 24, 24.00% from 25 to 44, 25.90% from 45 to 64, and 18.00% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 95.80 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.70 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $28,273, and the median income for a family was $34,072. Males had a median income of $27,182 versus $20,891 for females. The per capita income for the county was $16,829. About 14.00% of families and 17.30% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.00% of those under age 18 and 17.20% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns
- Comanche National Grassland
- San Isabel National Forest
- Spanish Peaks Wilderness
- Trinidad Lake State Park
Historic trails and landmarks
- Mesa de Maya
- Raton Pass National Historic Landmark
- Santa Fe National Historic Trail
- Trinidad State History Museum
- Outline of Colorado
- Index of Colorado-related articles
- Colorado census statistical areas
- Colorado counties
- Colorado municipalities
- Arthur Roy Mitchell
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Las Animas County, Colorado
- "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved July 14, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Census.gov. Retrieved July 14, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
||Huerfano County||Otero County and Pueblo County||Bent County|
|Costilla County||Baca County|
|Colfax County, New Mexico||Union County, New Mexico|