San Miguel County, New Mexico
|San Miguel County, New Mexico|
San Miguel County Courthouse in Las Vegas, New Mexico
Location in the state of New Mexico
New Mexico's location in the U.S.
|Founded||9 January 1852|
|Largest city||Las Vegas|
|• Total||4,736 sq mi (12,266 km2)|
|• Land||4,717 sq mi (12,217 km2)|
|• Water||19 sq mi (49 km2), 0.39%|
|• Density||6/sq mi (2.4/km²)|
- Mora County, New Mexico - north
- Harding County, New Mexico - east
- Quay County, New Mexico - southeast
- Guadalupe County, New Mexico - south
- Torrance County, New Mexico - southwest
- Santa Fe County, New Mexico - west
National protected areas
- Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge
- Pecos National Historical Park (part)
- Santa Fe National Forest (part)
Whereas according to the 2010 U.S. Census Bureau:
- 66.6% White
- 1.4% Black
- 1.7% Native American
- 0.8% Asian
- 0.1% Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander
- 3.9% Two or more races
- 25.5% Other races
- 76.8% Hispanic or Latino (of any race)
As of the census of 2000, there were 30,126 people, 11,134 households, and 7,537 families residing in the county. The population density was 6 people per square mile (2/km²). There were 14,254 housing units at an average density of 3 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 56.22% White, 0.78% Black or African American, 1.82% Native American, 0.54% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 36.21% from other races, and 4.33% from two or more races. 77.96% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 11,134 households out of which 34.60% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.50% were married couples living together, 16.40% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.30% were non-families. 26.60% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.20% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.58 and the average family size was 3.10.
In the county the population was spread out with 27.40% under the age of 18, 10.90% from 18 to 24, 27.00% from 25 to 44, 22.90% from 45 to 64, and 11.70% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 96.70 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.90 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $26,524, and the median income for a family was $31,250. Males had a median income of $27,307 versus $22,588 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,268. About 19.90% of families and 24.40% of the population were below the poverty line, including 27.80% of those under age 18 and 25.90% of those age 65 or over.
- Conchas Dam
- Las Ruedas
- North San Ysidro
- South San Ysidro
- Valles de San Geronimo
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to San Miguel County, New Mexico.|
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 30, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 30, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Santa Fe County||Harding County|
|Torrance County||Guadalupe County||Quay County|