Lashkar-e-Islam (Urdu: لشكرِ اسلام), (LI or LeI) literally Army of Islam also transliterated as Lashkar-e-Islami, Lashkar-i-Islam) is a militant organization active in and around Khyber Agency, Federally Administered Tribal Areas, Pakistan. LeI was founded in 2004 by Mufti Munir Shakir. Currently, the organization is headed by Mangal Bagh.
On April 17, 2008, Bagh claimed that LeI has over 180,000 volunteers in Khyber Agency
On April 27, 2008, it was reported that a "Lashkar-e-Islam" has changed its name to "Jaish-e-Islami". It is unclear whether this is the same group, or another which happened to use the same name. The reports stated that this LeI is located in Bajaur Agency, and headed by Wali Rehman.
Leadership progression 
(The term "Lashkar-e-Islam" is very generic, but the following individuals have been cited in media as leaders of an organization by that name in Bara tehsil, Pakistan)
- 2004: founded by Mufti Munir Shakir
- 2006: reportedly led by Haji Taj Mohammed, "member of the Afridi Shura." However, a report from earlier that month refers to Taj as only "a spokesman for the Mufti"
- Present: led by Mangal Bagh
Recent focus on Lashkar-e-Islam 
- LeI sends threatening letters to industrialists in Khyber Agency
- LeI clashes with Pakistani government troops in Khyber Agency
- LeI compels the public administration of Khyber Agency to close its offices in Bara tehsil
- Lashkar-e-Islam claims membership of 180,000 volunteers in Khyber Agency South Asian Terrorism Portal 18 April 2008
- Taliban group chooses new name Daily Times (Pakistan), 27 Apr 2008.
- Staff Report Khyber Agency given last chance to resolve Mufti issue Daily Times (Pakistan), 26 Feb 2006.
- Khyber Rifles takes up arms against Mufti and Pir Daily Times (Pakistan) 03 Feb 2007
- Threatening letters ‘from LI’ worry NWFP industrialists
- Pakistan hard-liners 'shot dead'
- Closure of PA Bara headquarters demanded
|This article related to a paramilitary organization or suspected paramilitary organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|