Last Night a D.J. Saved My Life
|"Last Night a D.J. Saved My Life"|
|Single by Indeep|
|from the album Last Night a D.J. Saved My Life!|
|Released||February 15, 1982|
|Format||5" single, 7" single, 12" single|
|Genre||Post-disco, funk, new wave|
|Length||5:38 (12"7LP), 4:16(7")|
|Label||Sound of New York/Becket Records
|Producer(s)||Mike Cleveland, Reggie Thompson|
|Indeep singles chronology|
The lyrics tell the story of a woman who is bored alone at home. She wants to speak to her man, but cannot reach him and considers leaving him, until a DJ plays a hot song and thereby saves her life. In the second verse, she leaves home, but does not reach her destination. The sound of squeaky wheels suggests she has an accident, but is saved by a DJ playing a good song on the radio.
The song was released as a single in 1982 and became the most popular and successful hit released by its record label, Sound of New York/Becket Records. In the U.S. "Last Night a D.J. Saved My Life" reached number ten on the R&B/Hip-Hop Singles chart and number two on the Club Singles chart. In February 1983 it peaked at number thirteen in the United Kingdom, and in March 1983 at number two in the Dutch Top 40 and the Belgium Ultratop 50. The track appears as the third track of the namesake album released in 1983.
Rolling Stone magazine declared the song "one of the greatest songs ever written about being a girl, listening to the radio, or any combination of the two," and, in 2005, editors of Blender magazine placed it at number 406 on its 500 Greatest Songs Since You Were Born list. The song also provided the inspiration of the title of the book Last Night a DJ Saved My Life: The History of the Disc Jockey (2000).
Because of the limited success of Indeep's later releases, the group's first single was its only major hit and placed it into the one-hit wonder category of artists.
|Belgium Ultratop 50||2|
|Dutch Top 40||2|
|UK Singles Chart||13|
|U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||10|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play||2|
- In 2001, American R&B singer Mariah Carey co-produced a cover of "Last Night a DJ Saved My Life" with DJ Clue and Duro, which appeared on her tenth album, Glitter. Carey's version of the song features Fabolous and Busta Rhymes, and it is heard during a scene in the film Glitter, in which Carey starred. It was released as the album's sixth and final single in 2001 in Spain on a strictly promotional basis to boost the album's slow sales, as the preceding singles from the album had performed poorly. Because of its limited release and conflict between Carey and Virgin/EMI Records, the single's music video (directed by Sanaa Hamri) was not released until late 2002–early 2003 through Carey's online fan club.
- In 2004, UK house/trance music producer Seamus Haji made several popular remixes of the song through his own label, Big Love Records, and released them on a 12" single titled "Last Night a DJ Saved My Life (ATFC Mixes)". This version reached number thirteen on the UK Singles Chart and number one on the UK Dance chart in 2006.
- In 1997, King Britt included a version of this song on his album King Britt Presents Sylk 130 – When The Funk Hits The Fan.
- The song was also re-released and remixed a number of times by various DJs/producers, most notably Seamus Haji, Funkagenda, and ATFC.
- Dara Rolins covered the song under the title "Party DJ".
- In 2013, Milk Inc. released its own vocal trance version.
- The song is sampled during Madonna's performance of her song "Music" on her Sticky & Sweet Tour.
- The song "If Ya Gettin' Down" by Five features a sample of the song.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
- The song was remixed by DJ Kambel and MC Magika in 2002, appearing on Dancemania Speed 8 with the name "Last Nite Kambel Saved My Life".
- The song is featured in the 2002 video game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City on "Fever 105", one of the in-game radio stations which are accessed while driving.
- House/dance music singer Lula released an unrelated song of the same name officially titled "Last Night a D.J. Saved My Life (While a DJ Gave Me Trouble)" featuring Papa Joe, along with a number of remixes on KULT Records. This song reached number six on the Billboard Dance Chart.
- The song appears in the 2006 feature film Cashback.
- The song "Electrolux" by Fini Tribe features the lyric "Last night a DJ saved my life".
- The song "Seiv Mai Nait" by Tatact also features the lyric "Last night a DJ saved my life".
- In 2011, Wendy Williams danced the foxtrot to this song on Dancing with the Stars.
- Italian band Mirage performed a remix of this song on the 2007 compilation After Dark, released by the Italians Do It Better record label.
- Craig Robinson mentioned the song during his stand-up appearance.
- The song was playing in the background of the Season 3 episode "Beach House" of HBO TV series Girls.