Late of the Pier
|Late of the Pier|
|Origin||Castle Donington, England|
|Genres||Dance-punk, electroclash, synthpop, neo-progressive rock|
Samuel Eastgate - vocals / guitar / synth
Late of the Pier are a four-piece dance-punk band from Castle Donington, England, signed to Parlophone. Their debut album Fantasy Black Channel was released on 11 August 2008 by Parlophone produced by Erol Alkan.
The band formed in 2004, although some of the songs they perform were written before this, with some dating back to 2001. Their debut single "Space and the Woods" was released through WayOutWest Records from the band's Zarcorp Demo EP in March 2007. This was limited to 500 copies only. The band's second single "Bathroom Gurgle" was produced by Erol Alkan and was released in September 2007 by Moshi Moshi Records. Like their previous release, this was also limited to 500 copies. Their third single, "The Bears Are Coming", was released on 12" and download only, with 7" versions being sold exclusively on their February 2008 tour. This was released through the band's own Zarcorp label. Their fourth single, a double A-side including a new version of "Space and the Woods" as well as "Focker", was released following a headline slot on the Levi's Ones To Watch tour.
Late of the Pier opened 2007's Carling Weekend on the NME/Radio One stage, while appearing on the festival's Republic stage a year later in 2008. The band have performed in support slots for Hadouken!, Soulwax, Justice and U.N.K.L.E.. Late of the Pier supported Kaiser Chiefs on their headline tour of the UK in 2008.
Their debut album, Fantasy Black Channel, was released by Parlophone on 11 August 2008. On 7 September 2009, it was voted winner of the Neptune Music Prize on the Drowned in Sound website. They released a new single titled "Blueberry" as a digital download on the 17th of December 2009, and as a double A-Side in February 2010 with "Best in the Class."
Lead singer Sam Eastgate featured on Filthy Dukes' track "This Rhythm" on their debut album Nonsense in the Dark.  He also has a side-project called La Priest. He produced Manchester indie pop band Egyptian Hip Hop's debut double A-side single Wild Human Child/Heavenly.
Since the March 2010 release of Blueberry/Best In The Class, Eastgate, Faley & Potter are to concentrate on side projects and have stated that it is unlikely that new material will be forthcoming in the near future.
Eastgate toured as part of New Zealand indie twee act Connan Mockasin's band on his 2010 album release tour around New Zealand.
In summer 2014, drummer Dawson joined London based band Zibra but left in early 2015.
Late of the Pier's style has often been compared to artists like Gary Numan, Brian Eno, Stephen Dubrich, Bill Nelson of Be-Bop Deluxe fame, and the more contemporary Metronomy and Klaxons, mainly due to the prominent use of synthesisers in an off-kilter pop style.
|Date of Release||Title||UK Chart Position||Album|
|5 March 2007||"Space and the Woods"||N/A||Zarcorp Demo|
|10 September 2007||"Bathroom Gurgle"||N/A||Fantasy Black Channel|
|2 March 2008||"The Bears Are Coming"||N/A||Fantasy Black Channel|
|19 May 2008||"Space and the Woods"/"Focker"||N/A||Fantasy Black Channel|
|4 August 2008||"Heartbeat"||98||Fantasy Black Channel|
|2 October 2008||"Bathroom Gurgle" (re-release)||N/A||Fantasy Black Channel|
|14 December 2009||"Blueberry"||N/A||Non-album single|
|1 March 2010||"Best in the Class"||N/A||Non-album single|
|2007||"Bathroom Gurgle"||Daniel Brereton|
|2008||"The Bears Are Coming"||Saam Farahmand|
|2008||"Space and the Woods"||Ian Emes|
|2009||"Blueberry"||Andrew Faley & Fred Glenister|
|2010||"Best in the Class"||Sam Potter & Steve Glashier|
- 2005: Refill Men Twist & The Zarcorp Legacy
- 2007: Zarcorp Demo
- Late Of The Pier
- Late Of The Pier Discography
- Late Of The Pier Announce Single: Late Of The Pier News on This Is Fake DIY
- Late Of The Pier kick off Carling Weekend: Leeds Festival | News | NME.COM
- GIGWISE, Hadouken! Play Their Biggest Show Yet
- manchester clubbing: Warehouse Project Lineups Update - Manchester Blog
- ADateZ Inc. | Justice, Late Of The Pier at Somerset House, London
- BBC - collective - late of the pier interview
- Fantasy Black Channel wins the 2009 Neptune Music Prize
- Lester, Paul (8 August 2007). "No 160: Late of the Pier". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- "The Official UK Albums Chart for the week ending 23 August 2008". ChartsPlus (Milton Keynes: IQ Ware Ltd) (365): 5–8.
- Drowned in Sound - Reviews - Single - Late Of The Pier
- Drowned in Sound - Reviews - Singles - Late Of The Pier - Bathroom Gurgle
- Welcome to Zarcorp
- New UK Single Releases, New Music Releases, UK CD Single Releases
- "The Official UK Singles Chart for the week ending 16 August 2008". ChartsPlus (Milton Keynes: IQ Ware Ltd) (364): 1–4.