|• Total||125.57 km2 (48.48 sq mi)|
|• Density||240/km2 (630/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Laufenburg District is a district of the canton of Aargau, Switzerland, essentially consisting of the upper Fricktal valley in the Aargau Jura south of the Rhine. Its capital is the town of Laufenburg. It has a population of 30,515 (as of 31 December 2013).
The Laufenburg district has an area, as of 2009[update], of 152.56 square kilometers (58.90 sq mi). Of this area, 75.05 km2 (28.98 sq mi) or 49.2% is used for agricultural purposes, while 59.85 km2 (23.11 sq mi) or 39.2% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 15.9 km2 (6.1 sq mi) or 10.4% is settled (buildings or roads).
In 2000[update] there were 13,183 workers who lived in the district. Of these, 9,714 or about 73.7% of the residents worked outside the district while 5,635 people commuted into the district for work. There were a total of 9,104 jobs (of at least 6 hours per week) in the district.
From the 2000 census[update], 15,302 or 59.4% were Roman Catholic, while 5,752 or 22.3% belonged to the Swiss Reformed Church. Of the rest of the population, there were 128 individuals (or about 0.50% of the population) who belonged to the Christian Catholic faith.
Of the school age population (in the 2008/2009 school year[update]), there are 2,224 students attending primary school, there are 821 students attending secondary school, there are 555 students attending tertiary or university level schooling in the municipality.
|Coat of arms||Municipality||Population
(31 December 2013)
- ^a Includes area of Hottwil, Etzgen, Mettau, Oberhofen and Wil which merged into Mettauertal on 1 January 2010.
- ^b Includes area of Ittenthal which merged into Kaisten on 1 January 2010.
- ^c Includes area of Sulz which merged into Laufenburg on 1 January 2010.
The following changes to the district's municipalities have occurred since 2000:
- On 1 January 2010 the municipalities of Hottwil in the Brugg district and Etzgen, Mettau, Oberhofen and Wil in the Laufenburg district merged to form the new municipality of Mettauertal. This resulted in Hottwil transferring from Brugg to Laufenburg. At the same time the municipality of Ittenthal merged into Kaisten, and Sulz merged into Laufenburg.
- Swiss Federal Statistics Office – STAT-TAB Ständige und Nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Region, Geschlecht, Nationalität und Alter (German) accessed 18 August 2014
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau - Aargauer Zahlen 2009 (German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau -Bereich 01 -Bevölkerung (German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau-Bereich 11 Verkehr und Nachrichtenwesen (German) accessed 21 January 2010
- Amtliches Gemeindeverzeichnis der Schweiz, Mutationsmeldungen 2009 / Répertoire officiel des communes de Suisse, Mutations 2009 / Elenco ufficiale dei Comuni della Svizzera, Mutazione 2009 (PDF) (Report). Federal Statistical Office. 2009. Retrieved 6 March 2010.