Laura Bailey (voice actress)
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2013)|
|Born||Laura Dawn Bailey
May 28, 1981
|Residence||Los Angeles, California|
|Alma mater||Collin College|
|Occupation||Voice actress, actress, ADR director, line producer|
|Spouse(s)||Travis Willingham (2011-present)|
Laura Dawn Bailey (born May 28, 1981) is an American actress, voice actress, ADR director, and line producer. She has provided voices for a number of English-language versions of Japanese anime films, television series, and video games. Her notable roles include Maka Albarn in Soul Eater, Kid Trunks in Dragon Ball Z, Tohru Honda in Fruits Basket, Lust in Fullmetal Alchemist and Shinnosuke "Shin" Nohara in Crayon Shin-Chan, the last of which she also served as the line producer. In video games, she provides the voice of Rayne in the Bloodrayne series; Chun Li in the newer titles of the Street Fighter series; Rise Kujikawa in Persona 4 and Persona 4: Arena; Lucina in Fire Emblem: Awakening; Serah Farron in Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII-2; Serana in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard; and Jaina Proudmoore in World of Warcraft. She also voices Auntie Greenleaf in telltale games' "The Wolf Among Us".
Bailey was inspired to go into acting after watching a making of Dawson's Creek special where they interviewed Katie Holmes. She attended the theatre program at the Collin County Community College (Quad C) in Plano, Texas. where she participated in productions of "suburbia", "Through a Glass Onion", and "Don’t Rock the Jukebox". Kent Williams, who spotted her at one of the plays, invited her to audition for Funimation, who had been working on Dragonball Z. Her most notable role on Dragonball Z was Kid Trunks, which she portrayed with a raspy voice. She voiced the starring character Marlene Angel in Blue Gender, which was the first project Funimation did outside of the Dragonball world, and Keiko Yukimura in Yu Yu Hakusho.
Bailey was cast for the starring role of Tohru Honda in the anime Fruits Basket. Bailey said that Tohru's character has helped her be more positive: "I was so inspired by her character by her, joy, and outlook on life that, you know, you wanna emulate that." She later voiced Lust, one of the villains in Fullmetal Alchemist, and Sana Kurata in Kodocha
|This section requires expansion with: add major roles chronological Glass Fleet, Soul Eater, Naruto, major video games. (May 2013)|
Bailey had been working with Funimation for about four years before she started ADR directing. She worked on Blue Gender: The Warrior and some episodes of Case Closed. Her first major ADR Directing project was Gunslinger Girl, in which she also voices Henrietta. She also co-directed parts of Kodocha. She became a line producer for Shin-Chan and also voices the title character.
Bailey and anime voice actor/director Colleen Clinkenbeard were once roommates while working at Funimation. In 2007, she moved to Los Angeles. In 2011, she married fellow voice actor Travis Willingham. They currently live in Los Angeles.
- Aquarion - Tsugumi
- Basilisk – Iga Oboro
- Blue Gender – Marlene Angel
- Bleach - Mashiro Kuna, Hiyori Sarugaki
- Case Closed – Serena Sebastian
- Code Geass – Nagisa Chiba, Rakshata Chawla
- Diamond Daydreams – Hanna
- Dragon Ball series – Trunks (Young in Z), Dende (Young in Z), Erasa (Z), Chi Chi (Young in DB),
- Fruits Basket – Tohru Honda
- Fullmetal Alchemist series – Lust
- Galaxy Railways - Layla
- Glass Fleet – Michel Volban de Cabelle
- Gunslinger Girl – Henrietta
- Hell Girl – Mayumi Hashimoto
- Hellsing Ultimate – Schrödinger
- Kiddy Grade – Alv
- Kodocha – Sana Kurata
- Kekkaishi - Tokine Yukimura, Gen Shishio (child)
- Kurokami: The Animation – Kuro
- Moon Phase – Hiromi Anzai
- Mushishi - Sui
- Naruto - Anko, Fūka
- Negima! series – Evangeline A.K. McDowell, Ayaka Yukihiro
- One Piece – Conis,
- Origin: Spirits of the Past - Minka
- Ragnarok - Wolfaya
- Resident Evil: Degeneration – Angela Miller
- Sakura Taisen: Ecole de Paris - Jester
- Samurai 7 - Hazuki
- Shin-chan – Shinnosuke "Shin" Nohara
- SoltyRei – Sylvia Ban
- Soul Eater – Maka Albarn
- Spiral - Ryoko
- Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle – Xing Huo, Primera
- YuYu Hakusho – Keiko Yukimura
- Bleach – Tier Harribel, Mashiro Kuna, Yui Toyokawa, Hiyori Sarugaki (Eps. 206+), Homura
- Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-Chan – Sabato Mihashigo
- Claymore – Jean
- Darker than Black – Amber
- Digimon Fusion - Beastmon, Shakomon, Kyupimon
- Dragonball Z - Oceanus Shenron (GT)
- El Cazador de la Bruja – Rita
- K-On! – Nodoka Manabe
- Monster – Dieter
- Naruto Shippuden – Kurotsuchi, Fuka, Yūkimaru
- One Piece - Isoka
- Ouran High School Host Club – Kanako Kasugazaki (Ep. 2)
- Persona 4: The Animation – Rise Kujikawa, Yuta (Ep. 13)
- School Rumble – Tsumugi Yuuki
- Sgt. Frog – Asami (Ep. 16)
- Speed Grapher – Miharu Shirumaku
- Stitch! – Tigerlily
- Suzuka – Suzune Asahina
- Tiger & Bunny – Dragon Kid, Mary Rose, Christina Lyle (Blue Rose's Mother), Tony (Ep. 2, movie)
- Vampire Knight series – Maria Kurenai
- Marvel's Avengers Assemble – Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow,
- Monster High – Lagoona Blue, Skelita Calaveras, Headless Headmistress Bloodgood
- Space Chimps 2: Zartog Strikes Back – Killowatt
- Ever After High - Ashlynn Ella
- Huntik: Secrets & Seekers – Leona Shay
- Lego Batman: The Movie – DC Super Heroes Unite – Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, and Wonder Woman
- The Super Hero Squad Show – Firestar
- The Swan Princess Christmas – Princess Odette
- The Swan Princess: A Royal Family Tale - Princess Odette
- What's New, Scooby-Doo? – Eve de LaFeye
- Winx Club – Tressa, Serena
- Dusk – Chelsea
- Four Sheets to the Wind (official selection of 2007 Sundance Film Festival) – Francie
- Mr. Brooks (2007) – Flight Attendant
- Ruffian (2007) – Cassie
- The Staircase Murders (2007 Lifetime TV movie) – Margaret Peterson
- Walker, Texas Ranger – Roberta (Frank Stallone's character's daughter, Ep. 189 "Saturday Night")
- From the Dark (2008) – Kristen Parker - this was her first on-camera acting role
Selected Video game roles
- Aeon Flux - Una
- Ar tonelico II: Melody of Metafalica - Luca
- Binary Domain – Faye Lee
- BloodRayne & BloodRayne 2 – Rayne
- Catherine – Catherine
- Dawn of Mana - Ritzia
- Deus Ex: Invisible War – Alex D
- Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice – Raspberyl (uncredited)[note 1]
- Divina – Leona the Sorcerer
- Dragon Ball series – Trunks (Young), Dende (Young), Chi Chi (Young)
- Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XIII-2 & Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII – Serah Farron
- Infinite Crisis - Mecha Wonder Woman
- Infinite Undiscovery - Dominica/ Svala/ Faina/ Leif
- Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning – Gwyn Anwy
- Mass Effect 3 – Oriana Lawson, Asari Lt. Kurin
- Marvel vs. Capcom 3/Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - Chun-Li
- Naruto: Clash Of Ninja Revolution 2 - Komachi/Anko
- One Piece: Unlimited Adventure - Pepper
- Persona 4 Arena - Rise Kujikawa (uncredited)[note 1]
- RoadKill - Sextalk DJ/ various
- Saints Row: The Third – The Boss (Female Voice 1)
- Saints Row IV – The Boss (Female Voice 1)
- Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 – Rise Kujikawa (uncredited)[note 2]
- Sonic the Hedgehog (series) – Blaze the Cat, Omochao (2010–present) (uncredited)
- Spikeout: Battle Street - Min Hua
- Star Ocean: The Last Hope – Reimi Saionji, Welch Vineyard (uncredited)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic – Kira Carsen
- Street Fighter series – Chun-Li
- Tales of Graces ƒ – Cheria Barnes
- Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World – Marta Lualdi
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – Dawnguard – Serana
- The Lego Movie Videogame - Additional voices
- The Wolf Among Us - Rachel/Auntie Greenleaf
- Tron: Evolution – Generic Female/Grid Announcer
- Valkyria Chronicles & Valkyria Chronicles II – Isara Gunther,[note 3] r
- Warcraft series - Jaina Proudmoore
||This biographical rest of entries in list needs additional citations for verification. (November 2013)|
- Ape Escape (series) – Natalie
- Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland - Lionela
- BioShock Infinite – Lady Comstock/The Siren
- BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift, & BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma – Platinum the Trinity
- BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II – Rachel Alucard
- Bleach: Soul Resurrección – Tier Halibel
- Code of Princess' – Solange Blanchefleur de Lux
- Dead or Alive 5 – Christie
- Defiance - EGO
- Disgaea: Infinite – Raspberyl (uncredited)[note 1]
- Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten – Raspberyl (uncredited)[note 1]
- Dissidia Final Fantasy & Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy – Cloud of Darkness
- Dynasty Warriors - Yue Ying
- Fallout New Vegas – Carrie Boyd, Christine Royce, Doctor Usanagi, Julie Farkas, Female Courier, Vera Keyes
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers – Belle (as Elle Deets)
- Fire Emblem: Awakening – Lucina/"Marth"
- Gears Of War 3 – Alicia Valera
- Gears Of War: Judgment – Alex Brand
- inFAMOUS: Second Son – Fetch
- Infinity Blade 3 – Isa
- Ingress - ADA (A Detection Algorithm), voice of AI machine
- Klonoa – Huepow/Hewpoe
- The Last of Us – Female Boston Civilian
- League of Legends – Akali, Irelia
- Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes – Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman, Poison Ivy
- Lego Marvel Super Heroes – Black Widow, Jean Grey, Mystique, Black Cat, Elektra, Pepper Potts/Rescue
- Magna Carta 2 - Claire Setilan
- Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy – Ulrika Mulberry (uncredited), Sasalina
- NIER – Kainé
- Resident Evil 6 – Helena Harper
- Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles – Sherry Birkin
- Rune Factory 4 - Dolce
- Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love - Gemini Sunrise
- Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes – Oichi
- Shin Megami Tensei IV - Nozomi
- Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers- Nemissa
- Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked - Amane Kuzuryu (uncredited)
- Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable – Female Protagonist (uncredited)[note 2]
- Silent Hill: Shattered Memories – Dahlia Gillespie/Dahlia Mason (uncredited)
- Silent Hill 2 HD – Angela Orosco (uncredited)
- Silent Hill 3 HD – Claudia Wolf (uncredited)
- Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure & Skylanders: Giants – Persephone
- Soulcalibur V – Pyrrha Alexandra
- Steambot Chronicles: Battle Tournament – Female Protagonist (uncredited)
- Tekken 6 - Christie Monteiro (uncredited)
- Time Hollow - Kori's and Derek's Daughter (Uncredited)
- Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - Luna
- Blue Gender movie
- Case Closed
- Gunslinger Girl - Bailey's first large project
- The in-game closing credits list only the Japanese voice actors.
- The closing credits do not list the voice actors involved.
- Isara Gunther is a hidden playable character
- "Dragonball Z Chat Log - Laura Bailey". Myfavoritegames.com. Retrieved May 4, 2013.
- "Laura Bailey". Collintheatrecenter.com. Retrieved May 4, 2013.
- "Travis and Laura Wedding Photobooth at mebophoto". September 25, 2011. Retrieved October 3, 2011.
- "Laura Bailey". Saboten Con. February 26, 2013. Retrieved November 27, 2013.
- Resnick, Todd (July 1, 2011). "Laura Bailey Voice Over | Resnick Interactive Group". Resnickinteractive.com. Retrieved November 27, 2013.
- Darrow, Heather (May 2011). "Laura Bailey: Superhero". Plano Profile: 36–38.
- "Interview with Laura Bailey (Voice Actor) " g33ksauce". G33ksauce.wordpress.com. September 28, 2010. Retrieved May 4, 2013.
- Ferreira, Mike (July 26, 2012). "Interview: Laura Bailey". Anime Herald. Retrieved May 4, 2013. original article Ferreira, Mike (May 23, 2009 (interview)). "Informal And Intriguing: An Interview With Laura Bailey". Anime Dream (published May 31, 2009). Archived from the original on March 4, 2012. Retrieved October 31, 2011.
- Japan Society (April 22, 2012). Interview with Laura Bailey at 2009 New York Anime Festival (YouTube). Retrieved May 04, 2013.
- Anderson, Matthew; Costello, Stephanie (June 15, 2005). "Exclusive Interview with Laura Bailey & Colleen Clinkenbeard at DVD Vision Japan". DVJ 2.0. DVD Vision Japan. Retrieved May 4, 2013.
- "Being a Brief Discussion of Anime Dubs: Colleen Clinkenbeard Special Edition". Mania.com. Retrieved May 4, 2013.
- Owen, Phil (June 7, 2013). "Voice Actor Laura Bailey Interview: Notoriety Can Hurt an Actor's Career". Game Front.
- "Laura Bailey's Voicework". Lizardbee.com (Laura Bailey Official Website). Archived from the original on February 25, 2009.
- "Voice Actor Luci Christian (interview)". OtakuReview.net. March 27, 2006. Archived from the original on May 6, 2012.
- "NYCC: Coulson Lives In Whedon's "S.H.I.E.L.D." (Updated with Photos)". Comic Book Resources. October 13, 2012. Retrieved October 17, 2012.
- "Animation". Lizardbee.com (Laura Bailey official website). Retrieved April 8, 2012.[dead link]
- Levy, Emanuel (2007). "Four Sheets to the Wind". Emanuel Levy. Retrieved November 9, 2011.
- "Ruffian (2007) - Overview". TCM.com. Retrieved November 27, 2013.
- "The Staircase Murders". Radio Times. Retrieved November 27, 2013.
- "Images, Trailer for 'From the Dark'". esplatter.com. August 26, 2008. Retrieved November 9, 2011.
- "Laura Bailey News". lizardbee.com. Retrieved March 20, 2012.
- Rodanes, Michelle (March 15, 2012). "Exclusive: Meet Divina's cast + contest – Part 2". Japanator.com.
- "Infinite Crisis - Behind the Voice - Laura Bailey as Mecha Wonder Woman". YouTube. Retrieved September 12, 2013.
- Wilcox, David (August 25, 2013). "Game Review: 'Saints Row IV' is crazy, stupid, superpowered fun". Longview, WA: The Daily News. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- "Official website of Laura Bailey – Video Games". Official website. Retrieved July 30, 2012.
- "Laura Bailey News". Official website. Retrieved December 26, 2011.
- "Laura Bailey Voice". Facebook.com. June 26, 2012. Retrieved September 12, 2012. "Did anybody get Dawnguard for Skyrim today?? I play Serana, a new companion with a bit of a bite."
- "Immersion into Tron: Evolution Video Game Grid to Be Guided by Tron: Legacy Film Talent". BusinessWire. October 21, 2010.
- Laura Bailey at the Internet Movie Database
- Laura Bailey at Anime News Network's Encyclopedia
- Laura Bailey convention appearances on AnimeCons.com
- Laura Bailey on Twitter