1 May 1934|
|Died||31 July 2004
Rome, Latium, Italy
Laura Betti (May 1, 1934 – July 31, 2004) was an Italian actress known particularly for her work with directors Federico Fellini, Pier Paolo Pasolini and Bernardo Bertolucci. She had a long friendship with Pasolini and made a documentary about him in 2001.
Born Laura Trombetti in Bologna, she grew up to be interested in singing. She first worked professionally in the arts as a jazz singer and moved to Rome. She adopted the surname "Betti" at this time. She has no family relationship with Henri Betti, Freda Betti and Priscilla Betti.
Betti made her film debut in Federico Fellini's La Dolce Vita (1960). In 1963, she became a close friend of the poet and movie director Pier Paolo Pasolini. Under his direction, she proved a wonderful talent and played in seven of his films, including La ricotta (1963), Teorema (Theorem, 1968), his 1972 version of The Canterbury Tales, in which she played the Wife of Bath; and his controversial Salo (1975) ("120 Days of Sodom").
From the 1960s, Betti dedicated much of her time to literature and politics. She became the muse for a number of leading political and literary figures in Italy and came to personify the revolutionary and Marxist era of 1970s Italy. In 1981 she had a role in Catherine Breillat's A ma soeur "Fat Girl".
In 2001, she made a documentary about Pasolini, Pier Paolo Pasolini e la ragione di un sogno. She also donated her papers related to their long friendship to the archives in Rome.
- La Dolce Vita (1960), directed by Federico Fellini
- Ro.Go.Pa.G. (1963)
- Le Streghe (1967)
- Teorema (1968), for her role as Emilia, the servant, Betti won the Volpi Cup in the same year.
- Hatchet for the Honeymoon (1970), directed by Mario Bava
- A Man Called Sledge (1970), directed by Vic Morrow
- Twitch of the Death Nerve (1971), directed by Mario Bava
- The Canterbury Tales (1972), directed by Pier Paolo Pasolini
- 1900 (1976), directed by Bernardo Bertolucci
- La Certosa di Parma (it) (1982), directed by Mauro Bolognini
- Ars amandi (1983), directed by Walerian Borowczyk
- The Protagonists (1999), directed by Luca Guadagnino
- Fat Girl (2000), directed by Catherine Breillat
- Obituary: "Laura Betti", BBC, 1 August 2004