|Full name||Laura Geitz|
4 November 1987 |
|School||The Scots PGC College|
|University||Queensland University of Technology|
|Playing position(s): GK, GD|
|Last updated: 15 October 2010|
Laura Geitz (born 4 November 1987) is an Australian netball player. Geitz was selected for the 2008 Australian national team, and to date has won a silver medal at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi, a Gold medal at the 2011 World Netball Championships in Singapore and a Gold Medal at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow as captain. In domestic netball, Geitz plays for the Queensland Firebirds in the ANZ Championship. She previously captained the AIS Canberra Darters in the Commonwealth Bank Trophy.
In 2011, Geitz played a major role for the Queensland Firebirds to not only win the ANZ Championship undefeated. In addition, Geitz was part of the Diamonds squad for the 2011 Netball World Championships in Singapore. Although Geitz did not play as Goal Keeper in the first half against New Zealand (Susan Fuhrmann played Goal Keeper for the first half), her impact helped recover a six-goal deficit to force the match into overtime. This move proved to be successful as the Diamonds prevailed over their rivals in a one-goal victory.
Geitz was honoured with the Liz Ellis Diamonds Award in 2011. She has 32 Test Caps for Australia.
In 2013 she led the Australian team for the first time, winning the Constellation Cup against New Zealand. In 2014 Geitz was named captain of the Australian Netball Team to compete at the 2014 Commonwealth Games. Under her captaincy the team defeated the New Zealand National Netball Team in the gold medal match, ending Australia's 12-year gold medal drought at the Commonwealth Games.
- Walsh, Gerard (2005-11-08). "Laura Geitz makes it three years in a row". Warwick Daily News. Retrieved 2008-05-20.[dead link]
- Somervail, Jemma (2007). "Laura Geitz on Fire". QUT Student Guild Sport. Retrieved 2008-05-20.
- "Youth replaces experience for Aus netball". ABC News. 2007-12-10. Retrieved 2008-05-07.
- 2009 Queensland Firebirds profile. Retrieved on 2009-03-14.
- Diamonds regain edge over New Zealand. 3 News NZ. 8 October 2013.