|Other names||Michèle Mercier|
|Known for||Makeup, photoshoots|
Laura Mercier is a French makeup artist and businesswoman.
Laura Mercier was born Michèle Mercier in Arles, France, the youngest of three daughters. At 16 she enrolled as art student at L'Ecole Supérieure d'Arts Appliqués Duperré, a design school in Paris, to pursue painting and drawing. Mercier later enrolled at the Caritas Institute, a combination beauty school and salon in Paris, France. Following her graduation, Mercier worked as a makeup artist at the school and adopted the name "Laura" to avoid confusion with the actress Michèle Mercier, a client of the salon.
Mercier moved to. New York City in 1985 to work as a makeup artist at the American edition of Elle magazine. Mercier was hired as Madonna's personal makeup artist, following a photo shoot featuring Madonna for Vogue magazine. Mercier also worked on campaigns for magazines and clients including The Gap and Chanel. Other celebrity clients for whom Mercier has worked with include Julia Roberts and Sarah Jessica Parker.
In 1996, Janet Gurwitch, the former Executive Vice President of Neiman Marcus, founded Laura Mercier Cosmetics with her partner Gary Kusin. The company's philosophy focuses on what it calls the "flawless face", a concept that is allegedly derived from Mercier's promotion of natural-looking makeup. The company asserts that this idea guides the development and presentation of its products.
- S.S. Fair (29 June 2012). "Laura Mercier: the beauty expert who became a mega-brand". Style.com. Retrieved 13 September 2012.
- Marlene Montanez (September 2008). "Behind The Flawless Face". Arizona Foothills (Mediabistro.com). Retrieved 13 September 2012.
- "Laura Mercier". Gawker.com. Retrieved 13 September 2012.
- "Laura Mercier". lauramercier.com. Laura Mercier. Retrieved 13 September 2012.
- "Beautiful Lives: Laura Gurwitch". Style.com. 29 June 2012. Retrieved 13 September 2012.
- Rebecca Gonsalves (September 3, 2012). "Laura Mercier: 'It's beautiful to think that you can help women to feel more confident'". The Independent. Retrieved September 13, 2012.
- S.S. Fair (19 April 2012). "Shooting Stars". Samurai Shopper (The New York Times). Retrieved 13 September 2012.
- "The New Beauty Secrets". books.simonandschuster.com. Simon and Schuster. Retrieved 13 September 2012.