Laura Moriarty (novelist)
Life and work
Laura Moriarty was born in Honolulu in 1970. She earned a degree in social work before earning an M.A. in Creative Writing at the University of Kansas. She was the recipient of the George Bennett Fellowship for Creative Writing at Phillips Exeter Academy in New Hampshire. Moriarty currently lives with her daughter in Lawrence, Kansas, and is at work on her next novel.
According to Moriarty, her debut novel (The Center Of Everything) was deeply influenced by a reading of Carl Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World. Other writers who have had a deep influence on Moriarty include Margaret Atwood, Tobias Wolff, and Jane Hamilton. Her favorite short story writer is Lorrie Moore.
- The Center of Everything Hyperion, 2004
- The Rest of Her Life Hyperion, 2007
- While I'm Falling Hyperion, 2009
- The Chaperone Penguin, 2012
- Meet the Writers: Laura Moriarty Moriarty homepage at Barnes & Noble includes interviews, book descriptions, and biographical material
- The Website ofLaura Moriarty
- Book Review: The Center of Everything
- On the Bookshelf: The Rest of Her Life a book review