Wright in 2013
September 11, 1970
Washington D.C., U.S.
|Spouse(s)||John Wright (m. 1995)|
Laura Wright (born Laura Sisk; September 11, 1970) is an American actress. She is perhaps best known for her role as Cassie Layne Winslow on Guiding Light (1997–2005), and since 2005, her portrayal of Carly Corinthos on General Hospital; the latter garnered her the Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series in 2011.
Life and career
Wright was born Laura Sisk in Washington D.C. and raised in Clinton. She appeared in several high school plays such as Gypsy, Our Town, and You Can't Take It With You. She made her debut of ABC's daytime soap opera Loving in 1991 as Ally Rescott Bowman. She also starred in The City from 1995 to 1997, and played Cassie Layne Winslow on CBS soap opera Guiding Light since 1997 to 2005.
As of 2005, Wright, plays Carly Corinthos in ABC's General Hospital. She was cast on September 12, 2005. ABC made an official announcement confirmed that Wright had been cast as the fourth actress to portray the role as Carly. ABC Daytime executive Brian Frons stated in a statement, "Carly is a complex character, and we are excited to bring Laura's talent, beauty and intelligence to this role. [...] Fans can look forward to high drama between Sonny, Carly and Alcazar this fall." In a statement, Wright said:
|“||As sad as I am to leave a wonderful place that I called home for a long time, it is time for me to go," Wright said. "This was not an easy decision. But my husband and I talked about it and we said, 'What the Hell! Let's live on the West Coast for a few years!'||”|
In 2009, Wright announced through her official Twitter page that she had signed a four-year contract with the series, ensuring her stay as Carly until sometime in 2013. At the fan club weekend in July 2013, Wright confirmed she had signed another four-year deal with the series. Should she fulfill the contract, it ensures her stay with the series until 2017, a total of 12 years time.
In 2011, after 20 years on soaps, Wright was nominated for a Daytime Emmy Award for her portrayal of Carly in the Outstanding Lead Actress category. Wright won the award at the 38th Daytime Emmy Awards. Wright was later nominated again in the Lead Actress category for the 39th Daytime Emmy Awards. She lost the award to Heather Tom for her portrayal of Katie Logan Spencer on The Bold and the Beautiful.
|1991–95||Loving||Ally Rescott Bowman||Main role; June 1991–November 10, 1995|
|1995–97||The City||Main role; November 13, 1995 – March 28, 1997|
|1997–2005||Guiding Light||Cassie Layne Winslow||Main role; August 1, 1997 – November 3, 2005|
|2005–present||General Hospital||Carly Corinthos||Main role; November 4, 2005–present|
|2013||Hit the Floor||Dance Teacher||Episode: "Moving Screens"|
Awards and nominations
|1993||Soap Opera Digest Award for Outstanding Younger Leading Actress in a Drama Series||Loving||Nominated||
|1994||Soap Opera Digest Award for Hottest Female Star||Loving||Nominated||
|1998||Soap Opera Digest Award for Favorite New Character||Guiding Light||Won||
|2011||Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series||General Hospital||Won||
|2012||Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series||General Hospital||Nominated||
- Michael Logan, General Hospital's Laura Wright Finally Breaks Her Emmy Curse, TV Guide, May 18, 2011
- Lynette Rice, Daytime Emmys: And the winners are:, Entertainment Weekly, June 19, 2011
- Carly Corinthos Jacks Played by Laura Wright, ABC
- Kroll, Dan J. (2005-09-12). "Laura Wright cast as GH's new Carly". Soap Central. Soapcentral.com. Retrieved July 11, 2012.
- Kroll, Dan J. (2009-11-05). "GH fans "stuck" with Laura Wright". Soap Central. Soapcentral.com. Retrieved July 11, 2012.
- Lewis, Errol (July 28, 2013). "GH FAN CLUB WEEKEND: Laura Wright Renews Contract; Emma Samms Returns; Connie Dies!". Soap Opera Network. Soapoperanetwork.com. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- "And The Nominees Are...". Soap Opera Digest. Soapoperadigest.com. 2011-05-11. Retrieved July 11, 2012.
- Logan, Michael (2011-05-18). "General Hospital's Laura Wright Finally Breaks Her Emmy Curse". TV Guide. TVGuide.com. Retrieved July 11, 2012.
- "2011 Daytime Emmy Winners (Press Release)". NATAS. Emmyonline.tv. 2011-06-19. Retrieved July 11, 2012.
- Ross, Robyn (2011-06-20). "Bold and the Beautiful Wins Top Honors at Daytime Emmy Awards". TV Guide. TVGuide.com. Retrieved July 11, 2012.
- "‘General Hospital’ scores 5 Daytime Emmys, including best drama; ‘Today,’ ‘Jeopardy!’ also win". Associated Press. 2012-06-23. Retrieved June 24, 2012.[dead link]
- Daytime Emmys experts' smackdown: Best Actress
- "Event: Soap Opera Digest Awards (1993)". Internet Movie Database. February 27, 2013. Retrieved February 26, 1993.
- "Event: Soap Opera Digest Awards (1994)". Internet Movie Database. February 27, 2013. Retrieved February 4, 1993.
- "'General Hospital' tops in soap opera awards". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Associated Press. March 3, 1998. Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- "Daytime Emmy 2011 Winners: Full List Of Emmys Awards". The Huffington Post. Arianna Huffington. June 20, 2011. Retrieved December 31, 2012.
- "The 39th Annual Daytime Entertainment Emmy Award Nominations". New York, New York: emmyonline.org and National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. May 9, 2013. Archived from the original on June 28, 2013. Retrieved May 5, 2013.
- Laura Wright at the Internet Movie Database
- Laura Wright on Twitter
- Laura Wright Talks 2010 Soap Cruise
|Carly Corinthos Jacks portrayer
|Cassie Layne Winslow actress