Laureate International Universities
|Founder(s)||Douglas L. Becker|
|Headquarters||Baltimore, MD, U.S.|
|Area served||North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East and North Africa|
Laureate International Universities, formerly known as Sylvan International Universities, is the largest private international network of degree-granting post-secondary institutions located around the world.
- 1 History
- 2 Institutions
- 2.1 Latin America
- 2.2 Europe
- 2.3 Middle East
- 2.4 Asia Pacific
- 2.5 Africa
- 2.6 North America
- 3 Institution gallery
- 4 Programs
- 5 Other activities
- 6 Visits by world and business leaders
- 7 References
- 8 External links
The Laureate International Universities network was started by Laureate Education, Inc., at that time known as Sylvan Learning Systems, Inc., in 1999 with the acquisition of Universidad de Europea de Madrid which consisted of approximately 6,000 students. In 2000, the network expanded to include Les Roches International School of Hotel Management in Switzerland, Universidad de Las Américas in Chile, and Universidad del Valle de México.
Since then, the Laureate International Universities network has grown to include over 75 institutions in 30 countries throughout North America, South America, Europe, Asia, and Africa. Institutions within the network operate both campus-based and online programs and include a total enrollment of more than 800,000 students.
In 2010, U.S. President Bill Clinton became the Honorary Chancellor of the Laureate International Universities network. As Honorary Chancellor, President Clinton provides advice in areas such as social responsibility, youth leadership and increasing access to higher education. He also encourages civic engagement and youth leadership on important social issues during his appearances at Laureate university campuses.
President Clinton has made several recent appearances at Laureate International University network institutions. He appeared at the Laureate Summit on Youth & Jobs at Universidad Europea de Madrid in 2013, , Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas in 2013, Université Internationale de Casablanca in 2013, European University Cyprus in 2012, Universidad del Valle de México in 2012, Walden University’s 2011 commencement ceremony, Istanbul Bilgi University in 2010 and INTI in 2010.
In January 2013, the International Finance Corporation, a member of the World Bank Group, made a $150 million equity investment in Laureate to expand access to quality higher education in emerging markets.
Arizona-based Thunderbird School of Global Management announced a partnership with Laureate in March 2013 to set up a joint venture that will provide capital support to Thunderbird to open multiple international instruction sites and expand its executive education and online programs.
Coursera, a provider of massive online open courses, announced in July 2013 that it raised $43 million in investments from a group that included Laureate Education, Inc., the World Bank’s investment arm, LearnCapital Venture Partners, GSV Capital and venture capitalist Yuri Milner. 
This is a list of the member institutions of the Laureate International Universities network as well as a map showing the countries where the network currently operates.
- Business School São Paulo (BSP)
- CEDEPE Business School (CEDEPE)
- Centro Universitário do Norte (UNINORTE)
- Centro Universitário Ritter dos Reis (UniRitter)
- Faculdade de Desenvolvimiento do Rio Grande do Sul (Fadergs)
- Faculdade dos Guararapes (FG)
- Faculdade Potiguar da Paraíba (FPB)
- Faculdade Unida da Paraíba (UniPB)
- Instituto Brasileiro de Medicina de Reabilitação (Centro Universitário IBMR)
- Universidade Anhembi Morumbi (UAM)
- Universidade Potiguar (UnP)
- Universidade Salvador (UNIFACS)
- Institute for Executive Development Chile (IEDE)
- Instituto Profesional (AIEP)
- Instituto Profesional Escuela Moderna de Música (EMM)
- Universidad Andrés Bello (UNAB)
- Universidad de Las Américas Chile (UDLA)
- Universidad Viña del Mar (UVM)
- Universidad Americana (Costa Rica) (UAM)
- Universidad Latina
- Universidad de las Américas (UDLA)
- Centro Universitario Tecnológico (CEUTEC)
- Universidad Tecnológica Centroamericana (UNITEC)
- Universidad Interamericana de Panamá (UIP)
- Universidad Latinoamericana de Ciencia y Tecnología (ULACIT)
- Instituto Tecnológico del Norte (ITN)
- Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas (UPC)
- Universidad Privada del Norte (UPN)
- Ecole Centrale d'Electronique (ECE)
- Institut Français de Gestion (IFG)
- École Supérieure de Commerce Extérieur (ESCE)
- European Business School (EBS)
- Centro Superior de Edificación, Arquitectura e Ingeniería (PROY3CTA)
- Institute for Executive Development (IEDE)
- Les Roches Marbella
- Real Madrid University Studies School
- Universidad Europea de Madrid (UEM)
- Universidad Europea de Canarias (UEC)
- Universidad Europea Valencia (UEV)
- Glion Institute of Higher Education
- Les Roches Gruyère, University of Applied Sciences (LRG)
- Les Roches International School of Hotel Management
The United Kingdom
- Royal Academy of Culinary Arts (RACA)
- Higher Institute for Paper and Industrial Technologies (HIPIT)
- Higher Institute for Power and Water Technologies (HIWPT)
- Riyadh Polytechnic Institute (RPI)
- Hunan International Economics University (HIEU)
- Les Roches Jin Jiang International Hotel Management College
- Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU)
- Pearl Academy of Fashion
- University of Petroleum and Energy Studies
- University of Technology and Management
- INTI College
- St. Thomas University (STU)
- Université Internationale de Casablanca (UIC)
- Kendall College
- National Hispanic University
- NewSchool of Architecture and Design
- Santa Fe University of Art and Design
- Walden University
Laureate International Universities network institutions offer different programs in fields of study including architecture, art & design, business & management, communications, education, engineering & information technology, hospitality management, law & legal studies, and medicine & health sciences. The majority of Laureate’s academic programs focus on traditional undergraduate students, but significant proportions of Laureate’s programs are aimed at graduate students and working adults. Many network institutions are recognized in the media as leaders in their respective fields.
Architecture, art and design
Santa Fe University of Art and Design, NewSchool of Architecture and Design, the Pearl Academy of Fashion, Media Design School, Domus Academy, Nuova Accademia di Belle Arti Milano, Universidade Anhembi Morumbi, and Universidad del Valle de Mexico all offer a variety of creative art and design programs.
Media Design School has been featured in fourth place in the YoungGuns top 10 advertising schools worldwide.
Business and management
Business School São Paulo, École Supérieure du Commerce Extérieur, Universidade Salvador, IEDE Escuela de Negocios, Business and Information Technology School, and CEDEPE Business School provide business education, including international business education across the network.
Business School São Paulo’s M.B.A. program was ranked #1 in Brazil and #2 in Latin America by international employers. América Economia recognized BSP among the top 3 business schools in São Paulo.
École Supérieure du Commerce Extérieur (ESCE) was recognized one of the top 10 private schools of international business in France.
The M.B.A. program at UNIFACS was recognized nine years in a row as being among the top in Brazil. The law program is the only one in the region that is recommended by the Brazilian National Organization of Lawyers.
The network’s biggest contributor to education programs is Walden University. Walden offers online programs in education that provide undergraduate and graduate instruction. Walden has been recognized by US News & World Report as the one of the largest online graduate programs in education.
Medicine and health sciences
The Laureate International Universities network also consists of schools that offer education in health sciences, including 19 medical schools, among them those at Universidad del Valle de México, Universidad Latina de Costa Rica, Universidad De Las Américas in Ecuador, Universidade Anhembi Morumbi in Brazil, Universidad Europea de Madrid in Spain and Universidad Andrés Bello in Chile.
Several Laureate International Universities network institutions specialize in hospitality education, including Blue Mountains International Hotel School, Les Roches Jin Jiang Hotel Management College, Kendall College, Glion Institute of Higher Education and Les Roches International School of Hotel Management.
Kendall College is ranked as the top culinary arts program by Michelin Guide Chefs in Metro Chicago and is the only culinary school restaurant recognized in the Michelin Guide Chicago, and is ranked among the top 10 culinary institutions in the United States, according to a survey of 150 of the country’s top food journalists and culinary industry leaders.
Both Glion Institute of Higher Education and Les Roches International School of Hotel Management were reported as ranked among the top four hospitality schools in the world for an international career.
Sylvan Laureate Foundation
The Sylvan/Laureate Foundation was created in 1997 as a non-profit foundation to provide education, training and community support.
More than $10 million in grants have been provided to more than 100 non-profit organizations, including the Port Discovery (museum) in Baltimore, Maryland; the Kennedy Krieger Institute, which is dedicated to helping children with brain and spinal cord disorders; and Teach For America.
International Youth Foundation
The International Youth Foundation is a partner to the Sylvan/Laureate Foundation, and the two have worked together via the YouthActionNet program at Laureate International Universities to launch programs for young social entrepreneurs at several schools within the network.
Istanbul Bilgi University, Universidade Anhembi Morumbi, Universidad Andrés Bello, Universidad Europea de Madrid, Universidad del Valle de México, Universidad Tecnológica Centroamericana (UNITEC), Universidad Latina de Costa Rica and Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas have all created YouthActionNet programs at their individual universities.
Clinton Global Initiative
Students from many of the network institutions have participated in the Clinton Global Initiative University, including students from Universidade Anhembi Morumbi, Universidade Potiguar, INTI International College, INTI International University, Universidad del Valle de México, Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas, Universidad Europea de Madrid, Istanbul Bilgi University, Stamford International University, Walden University, Université Internationale de Casablanca, The National Hispanic University, and Universidade Salvador.
The students participate in panel discussions and skill-building sessions at the meeting. All participants attend a day-long service project.
Visits by world and business leaders
Many global business and government leaders have visited Laureate International University network institutions.
- Álvaro Uribe, Universidad Andrés Bello (2006), UNITEC Honduras (2010), and UDLA Ecuador (2013) 
- Demetris Christofias, European University Cyprus (2011) 
- José María Aznar, Universidad Andrés Bello (2006 and 2010), Universidad de Las Américas (2011) 
- José Miguel Insulza, Universidad Viña del Mar (2011) 
- Lech Walesa, Campus Symposium at BiTS (2008) and Universidad Europea de Madrid (2011) 
- Mario Vargas Llosa, Universidad Europea de Madrid (2006) and Universidad Andrés Bello (2012) 
- Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Universidad Europea de Madrid (2010)
- Tony Blair, key-note speech at BiTS Campus Symposium (2009), Anhembi Morumbi University (2010), Universidad Europea de Madrid (2011), Centro Universitário Ritter dos Reis (UniRitter) 
- Henry Cisneros delivered National Hispanic University's 28th Commencement address and was honored with a Doctor of Humane Letters, Honoris Causa (2013)