Laurel Bay, South Carolina
|Laurel Bay, South Carolina|
Location of Laurel Bay, South Carolina
|• Total||5.4 sq mi (14.0 km2)|
|• Land||4.5 sq mi (11.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.9 sq mi (2.3 km2)|
|Elevation||36 ft (11 m)|
|• Density||1,100/sq mi (420/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1227789|
Laurel Bay is a census-designated place and military housing complex in Beaufort County, South Carolina, United States. The population was 5,891 at the 2010 census. As defined by the U.S. Census Bureau, Laurel Bay is included within the Hilton Head Island-Bluffton-Beaufort Metropolitan Statistical Area..
Laurel Bay is located at .(32.457905, -80.790501)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 5.4 square miles (14.0 km2), of which 4.5 square miles (11.7 km2) is land and 0.89 square miles (2.3 km2), or 16.50%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,625 people, 1,888 households, and 1,712 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,409.4 people per square mile (544.2/km²). There were 1,955 housing units at an average density of 415.9/sq mi (160.6/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 66.05% White, 25.87% African American, 0.63% Native American, 1.45% Asian, 0.14% Pacific Islander, 3.83% from other races, and 2.02% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 7.89% of the population.
There were 1,888 households out of which 72.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 79.7% were married couples living together, 8.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 9.3% were non-families. 6.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 0.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.51 and the average family size was 3.63.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 42.8% under the age of 18, 11.4% from 18 to 24, 39.1% from 25 to 44, 5.5% from 45 to 64, and 1.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 23 years. For every 100 females there were 101.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.2 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $40,777, and the median income for a family was $39,236. Males had a median income of $28,512 versus $21,452 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $12,686. About 4.6% of families and 4.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.8% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Laurel Bay CDP, South Carolina". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved November 24, 2011.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Laurel Bay CDP, South Carolina". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved November 24, 2011.