Lauren Anderson (dancer)
February 19, 1965 |
|Former groups||Houston Ballet (1983-2006)|
Lauren Anderson (born February 19, 1965) is an American ballet dancer and a former principal dancer with the Houston Ballet. In 1990, she was the first African American ballerina to become a principal for a major dance company, an important milestone in American ballet.
Early life and education
Lauren is the only child of Lawrence Anderson, a school administrator, and Doris Parker-Morales, a classical piano teacher. From the age of seven she trained at Houston Ballet's Ben Stevenson Academy. She is a Houston native and graduated from Lamar High School in 1982.
Anderson joined the Houston Ballet in 1983 and became a principal dancer in 1990.
Her performance of the title role in Cleopatra gave her international recognition. She has also performed works by George Balanchine and Sir Kenneth MacMillan, among others. Ms. Anderson originated the role of Cleopatra in the ballet of the same name created by Ben Stevenson, and her performance received reviews; the Boston Globe called Ms. Anderson "a powerhouse in interpreting the role that Stevenson created on her."
Anderson retired from performance in 2006. In January 2007, she became an outreach associate in the Houston Ballet’s education department. In that capacity, she teaches ballet classes at Houston Ballet’s academy and conducts master classes at schools in the Houston area. She is also in demand as a lecturer on the subject of ballet.
Anderson was married to jazz saxophonist Kyle Turner. They have one son named Lawrence. Lauren often teaches at a professional school called "The Link School of the Arts" in Michigan. She calls The Link her "second home". 
- "Lauren Anderson." Contemporary Black Biography. Gale, 2009. Retrieved July 28, 2010.
- Kourlas, Gia (May 6, 2007). "Dance: Where Are All the Black Swans?". The New York Times. Retrieved February 22, 2012.
- Cosgriff, Gabrielle (November 26, 2006). "Houston Ballet's Lauren Anderson readies her final bow". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved February 21, 2012.
- "Lauren Anderson, Outreach Associate". Houston Ballet. Retrieved February 21, 2012.
- "Distinguished HISD Alumni". Houston Independent School District. Retrieved January 17, 2008.
- Wozny, Nancy (October 24, 2008). "Shining Star of Texas: Lauren Anderson lights up classrooms at Houston Ballet and beyond". Dance Studio Life. Retrieved February 22, 2012.
- Video Interview with Lauren Anderson (February 7, 2012)
- Anderson, Loren and Linda Lorelle. Lauren Anderson Oral History, Houston Oral History Project, October 31, 2007.
|This article about someone associated with the art of dance is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|