3 August 1972 |
|Notable work(s)||The Voluptuous Delights of Peanut Butter and Jam|
Lauren Liebenberg (born 3 August 1972) is a Rhodesia-raised South African writer. Her debut novel The Voluptuous Delights of Peanut Butter and Jam was nominated for the Orange Prize for Fiction in 2008, the sole African entry that year to receive a nomination. The novel draws upon her experiences as a child in Rhodesia during the Rhodesian Bush War.
Liebenberg was raised in Rhodesia and in her adolescence left newly independent Zimbabwe for Johannesburg in neighbouring South Africa where her father began working in the gold mining industry. She attended Brescia House School, an independent Catholic day school for girls situated in Bryanston. She later graduated from the University of the Witwatersrand with an MBA and later lived overseas. She worked in merchant banking and published articles in the field of financial markets. She is married to an Englishman and they live in Johannesburg with their two children. She revealed in an interview; "I do regard myself as South African."
Her debut novel, The Voluptuous Delights of Peanut Butter and Jam drew warm praise from critics when it was published in 2008. The Financial Times described it as an "elegiac first novel [that] captures the insular vulnerability of this white African childhood." The Guardian described it as "immediate, vivid and rarely judgmental" and expanded that "The details are astonishingly vivid: Rhodesia springs to fecund, fetid life before your eyes. What's especially impressive is the way Liebenberg avoids the overcooked beauty that characterises so many self-consciously "literary" first efforts." The Times described it as a "touching debut". The Daily Mail wrote that it was an "outstanding first novel". The novel was also serialized by The Independent.
As well as seeing her novel shortlisted for the Orange Prize for Fiction, Liebenberg was one of only three women to be nominated for the Orange Award for New Female Writers. Her novel was also shortlisted for the Orange Debut Award. In 2010 the novel was longlisted for the International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award.
Her follow-up novel, The West Rand Jive Cats Boxing Club will be released in the United Kingdom on 7 April 2011.
- The Voluptuous Delights of Peanut Butter and Jam by Lauren Liebenberg (Virago Press, 2008) ISBN 1-84408-464-7
- The West Rand Jive Cats Boxing Club by Lauren Liebenberg (Virago Press, 2010) ISBN 1-84408-489-2
- Interview with Lauren Liebenberg by Amanda Patterson Writers Write. 25 June 2008
- Novelist who faced trial in Turkey makes long list for Orange Prize The Independent. 18 March 2008
- An Evocative Debut from Lauren Liebenberg Penguin. 7 April 2008
- The Voluptuous Delights of Peanut Butter and Jam Orange Prize. Retrieved on 6 November 2010
- Lauren Liebenberg, author of The Voluptuous Delights of Peanut Butter and Jam, in conversation with Janet van Eeden Litnet. 14 May 2008
- The Voluptuous Delights of Peanut Butter and Jam Financial Times. 29 March 2008
- Danger in the veld The Guardian. 5 April 2008
- Paperback fiction - Alfred & Emily by Doris Lessing The Times. 13 March 2009
- New fiction Daily Mail. 8 April 2008
- Book extract: The Voluptuous Delights of Peanut Butter and Jam, By Lauren Liebenberg The Independent. 4 May 2008
- Three authors on Orange shortlist BBC. 8 April 2008
- Orange Jam - Lauren Liebenberg shortlisted for debut award Little Brown. Retrieved on 6 November 2010
- The 2010 Award International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award. Retrieved on 7 November 2010