Lauren Socha in 2011
|Born||Lauren Marie Socha
9 June 1990
Derby, Derbyshire, England
|Residence||Derby, Derbyshire, England|
|Known for||Comedy-drama television series Misfits|
|Relatives||Michael Socha (brother)|
Lauren Marie Socha (born 9 June 1990) is an English actress. She rose to prominence during her role as Kelly Bailey in the E4 comedy-drama television series Misfits, for which she won a BAFTA in the Best Supporting Actress category. She is also known for her role in the Channel 4 drama The Unloved.
Socha was born in Derby, Derbyshire to Robert Socha and Kathleen Lyons. She has an older brother, Michael Socha, who is also an actor. She attended St. George's RC Primary School, Burton College and St. Benedict Catholic School and Performing Arts College, Derby. She trained at Ian Smith's Television Workshop based in Nottingham.
Socha was first recognised by agents and casting directors when she attended a local drama workshop, having been inspired by her older brother. This led to her being cast as the lead in the Arctic Monkeys' video for their 2006 single "When the Sun Goes Down" at the age of 15.
In 2009 Socha went on to star in Samantha Morton's directorial debut The Unloved in which she played a sixteen-year-old girl in a care home. She was nominated for a BAFTA for Best Supporting Actress for her role. A week later she auditioned for the role of Kelly Bailey in British comedy-drama Misfits and got the part.
In May 2011 she won a BAFTA in the Best Supporting Actress category for her role of Kelly in Misfits. She later appeared in the short The Child, playing a version of Marilyn Monroe. She also took part in the BBC learning project "Off By Heart Shakespeare" where she played Juliet from Romeo and Juliet, performing the speech: "Blistered be thy tongue".
On 3 May 2012 it was announced that Socha would not be returning to Misfits for its fourth series. Channel 4 stated that this was by mutual decision before the series went into production and had nothing to do with her recent conviction.
Socha resides in Derby. She has three tattoos: three stars on her neck, a bow on her back and her initials with a star on her wrist.
On 23 January 2012 it was reported that Socha had been charged with racially aggravated assault in connection with an incident involving a Derby taxi driver, Sakandar Iqbal, the previous October. Iqbal stated that "She called me a Paki, a dirty bastard and said, 'You're Asian, fuck off back to where you came from'. She said, 'Do you know who I am? I'll have your family lifted'." On 2 May 2012 Socha was sentenced to four months in prison, suspended for 12 months, for the racially aggravated assault.
|2009||The Unloved||Lauren||TV film
Nominated—BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role
|2011||The Child||Marilyn Monroe||Short|
|2009–11||Misfits||Kelly Bailey||Main cast: Series 1-3
BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role 2010
|2010||Five Daughters||Dawn||Three episodes|
|2010||71 Degrees North||Herself|
- Socha starred alongside Stephen Graham in the music video "When the Sun Goes Down" by the Arctic Monkeys.
- "Our family had to conquer heartbreak on the road to stardom". thisisderbyshire.co.uk. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- "Misfits star Lauren Socha reveals why she's changing her accent". sundaymercury.net. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- "Lauren Socha interview". pimedia.org.uk. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- "TV Awards Nominations Press Release". Bafta.org. 6 June 2010. Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- "Interview with Lauren Socha". comedy.co.uk. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- "Television Awards Nominees and Winners in 2011". bafta.org. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- "Schools - Teachers - Off By Heart Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet "Blistered be thy tongue"". BBC. 21 March 2011. Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- Thursday, 3 May 2012, 12:41 GMT (3 May 2012). "Lauren Socha NOT returning to Misfits". Digitalspy. Retrieved 3 May 2012.
- "Bafta-winning actress Lauren Socha charged with assault". BBC News. 23 January 2012. Retrieved 25 January 2012.
- 'Misfits' Lauren Socha sentenced over racist attack on taxi driver - Misfits News - Cult - Digital Spy