Broderick with The Bull
|Born||1935 (age 78–79)
Laurence Broderick, ARBS, FRSA, is a British sculptor. His best known work is 'The Bull', a public sculpture erected in 2003 at the Bull Ring, Birmingham. His work consists largely of figurative carvings in stone and editions in bronze.
He is predominantly a stone carver, working with many types of stone including: Marble, Alabaster, Soapstone, Hopton Wood and Ancaster Limestone. He also models in clay, plasticine, plaster and wax for casting into bronze.
He studied painting, illustration and sculpture under Ray Millard and Geoffrey Deeley at the Regent Street Polytechnic from 1952–1957 and Sidney Harpley and Keith Godwin at the Hammersmith School of Art from 1964–1965.
Broderick began his artistic career as an historical and educational illustrator and painter. He taught Art at the Haberdashers' Aske's School in Cricklewood from 1959 and Elstree from 1961 and was Director of Art there from 1965–1981. He continued working as a freelance artist and sculptor throughout this period and became a full-time sculptor in 1981.
Broderick divides his time between studios on the Isle of Skye, in the Scottish Highlands and Cambridge, England. He is an Associate of the Royal British Society of Sculptors and a Fellow of the Royal Society of the Arts.
Commissions and Collections include
- The Bull, Birmingham
- Leaping Salmon, Chester Business Park
- Annual World Champion Trophies, International Tennis Federation
- Goddess Athena and the Owl, Royal Caribbean International
- Family of Otters, E.ON UK plc, Coventry
- Turtle, Prudential plc Art Collection, London
- Mother and Child, Diageo plc, Perth.
- Indian Elephant Calf, Royal Caribbean International
- Teko, Kyleakin, Isle of Skye
- Madonna and Child, All Saints, Weston-super-Mare
- Tortoise, Turtle & Mayan Figures, Vision of the Seas
- Crucifix, The Priory, Christchurch
- Madonna of the Magnificat, The Priory, Dunstable
- St Mark and the Lion, St Mark's, Mansfield
- Sir Roy Calne, Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge
- June Marchioness of Aberdeen and Temair, Haddo Arts Trust
- Philippe Chatrier, International Tennis Federation, Stade Roland Garros, Paris
Exhibitions in Scotland, England, Jersey, France, Monaco, Germany, USA and Canada.
Works containing Broderick's illustrations:
- Ports and Harbours. Macdonald Phoebus.
- Henry Purcell and his Times. Hamish Hamilton.
- Uncle Matt's Mountain. New York St Martin's Press.
- Persia The Immortal Kingdom. New York Graphic Society Publishers.
- Everyday Life in Imperial Japan. Hippocrene Books Inc.
- Everyday Life in Traditional Japan. Tuttle Publishing.
- Bourke, Fionnuala (2013-08-18). "Bully sculptor is raging over 'mean Bullring birthday snub - Birmingham Mail". Sunday Mercury. Retrieved 24 August 2013.
- de Laperriere, Charles Baile. Who's Who in Art. Hilmarton Manor Press.
- Dictionary of International Biography. International Biographical Centre.