Laurence Chisholm Young
|Laurence Chisholm Young|
July 14, 1905|
|Died||December 24, 2000
|Institutions||Trinity College, Cambridge
University of Cape Town
University of Wisconsin–Madison
University of Campinas
|Alma mater||Cambridge University|
|Doctoral students||Wendell Fleming|
|Known for||Calculus of variations, real analysis|
|Notable awards||Honorary degree from Paris Dauphine University (1984)|
Laurence Chisholm Young (14 July 1905 – 24 December 2000) was an American mathematician known for his contributions to measure theory, the calculus of variations, optimal control theory, and potential theory. He was the son of William Henry Young and Grace Chisholm Young, both prominent mathematicians.
- Young, L. C. (1927), The Theory of Integration, Cambridge Tracts in Mathematics and Mathematical Physics 21, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pp. viii + 53, JFM 53.0207.19, available from the Internet archive.
- Young, L. C. (1969), Lectures on the Calculus of Variations and Optimal Control, Philadelphia–London–Toronto: W. B. Saunders, pp. xi+331, MR 0259704, Zbl 0177.37801.
- Young, Laurence (1981), Mathematicians and their times. History of mathematics and mathematics of history, North-Holland Mathematics Studies, 48 / Notas de Matemática [Mathematical Notes], 76, Amsterdam–New York: North-Holland Publishing Co., pp. x+344, ISBN 0-444-86135-1, MR 0629980, Zbl 0446.01028.
- Young, Laurence C. (1989), "Remarks and personal reminiscences", in Roxin, Emilio O., Modern optimal control: a conference in honor of Solomon Lefschetz and Joseph P. LaSalle, Lecture Notes in Pure and Applied Mathematics 119, New York: Marcel Dekker, pp. 421–433, MR 1013226.
Biographical and general references
- Fleming, Wendell H.; Wiegand, Sylvia M. (2004), "Laurence Chisholm Young (1905-2000)", Bulletin of the London Mathematical Society 36 (3): 413–424, doi:10.1112/S0024609303002959, MR 2038729, Zbl 1050.01519
- Aubin, Jean–Pierre (1985), "Eloge du Professeur L. C. Young, Docteur Honoris Causa de l'Université Paris-Dauphine", Gazette des Mathématiciens (in French), No. 27: 98–112, MR 0803575, including a reply by L. C. Young himself (pages 109–112).
- Màlek, Josef; Nečas, Jindřich; Rokyta, Mirko; Růžička, Michael (1996), Weak and measure-valued solutions to evolutionary PDEs, Applied Mathematics and Mathematical Computation 13, London–Weinheim–New York–Tokyo–Melbourne–Madras: Chapman & Hall/CRC Press, pp. xii+317, ISBN 0-412-57750-X, MR 1409366, Zbl 0851.35002. One of the most complete monographs on the theory of Young measures, strongly oriented to applications in continuum mechanics of fluids.
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Laurence Chisholm Young", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.
- Obituary on University of Wisconsin web site
- Laurence Chisholm Young at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
|This article about a mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|