Laurence S. Cutler
|Residence||Newport, Rhode Island, New York City|
|Education||University of Pennsylvania, Harvard|
|Occupation||Chairman/CEO and Co-Founder of the National Museum of American Illustration|
|Spouse(s)||Judy Goffman Cutler|
Laurence Cutler is an American architect, urban designer, historic property developer, author, educator, advertising executive and museum founder. Along with his wife, Judy Goffman Cutler, he is co-founder of the National Museum of American Illustration (NMAI) at Vernon Court, the first national museum devoted exclusively to illustration art. Laurence Cutler is also the Advisory Director to the American Illustrators Gallery, NYC. Laurence became one of the nation's leading architects and urban designers, heading ECODESIGN, a professional practice comprising of 1,756 persons with 37 offices in 7 countries.
Education and career
A graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, he holds two graduate degrees from Harvard University and is a former Professor of Architecture and Urban Design at Harvard University, MIT, and the Rhode Island School of Design.
In 1998, Laurence and his art dealer wife Judy, founded the National Museum of American Illustration (NMAI) and the American Civilization Foundation, a nonprofit organization that administers and operates the Museum. Located at Vernon Court (1898) in Newport, a Beaux Arts 18th century French chateaux, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and in 1904 was considered one of "the ten most beautiful mansions in America."
Works Authored and Co-Authored
- Norman Rockwell's America by Judy Goffman Cutler, Laurence S. Cutler, and the National Museum of American Illustration with the Birmingham Museum of Art, American Civilization Foundation, Newport, RI, 2012
- Norman Rockwell's America…in England by Judy Goffman Cutler and Laurence S. Cutler, National Museum of American Illustration, 2010
- Norman Rockwell and his Mentor J.C. Leyendecker by Judy and Laurence Cutler, National Museum of American Illustration, 2010
- J.C. Leyendecker: American Imagist by Laurence S. Cutler and Judy Goffman Cutler, Harry N. Abrams, 2008
- Maxfield Parrish and the American Imagists by Laurence Cutler and Judy Goffman Cutler, The Wellfleet Press, Easton, NJ and Regency House Publishing, London, 2007
- Maxfield Parrish by Laurence Cutler and Judy Goffman Cutler, Thunder Bay Press, San Diego, 2001
- Maxfield Parrish: Treasures of Art by Laurence Cutler and Judy A.G. Cutler, Gramercy Books, New York and Regency House Publishing Limited, London, 1999
- Maxfield Parrish: A Retrospective by Laurence S. Cutler and Judy Goffman Cutler, Pomegranate Artbooks, 1995
- Parrish & Poetry: A Gift of Words and Art by Laurence S. Cutler and Judy Goffman Cutler, Pomegranate Communications, 1995
- Maxfield Parrish by Judy Goffman Cutler and Laurence S. Cutler, Japanese Traveling Exhibition Catalogue, 1995
- Great American Illustrators by Judy Goffman Cutler and Laurence S. Cutler, Japanese Traveling Exhibition Catalogue, 1994
- Maxfield Parrish by Laurence S. Cutler and Judy Goffman Cutler, Brompton Books, 1993
- Norman Rockwell by Judy Goffman and Laurence S. Cutler, Japanese Traveling Exhibition Catalogue, 1992
- Norman Rockwell by Judy A. Goffman and Laurence S. Cutler, Electra Edirice, Italy, 1990
- Recycling Cities for People: The Urban Design Process by Laurence S. Cutler and Sherrie S.Cutler, John Wiley & Sons: New York, 1983
- Handbook of Housing Systems for Designers and Developers by Sherrie and Laurence Cutler, Van Nostrand Reinhold Company, 1974
- System Ecologic by Laurence Stephan Cutler and Sherrie Stephens Cutler, ECODESIGN Inc., Cambridge, Ma., and National Endowment for the Arts, Washington D.C., NEA Grants: #A72-18 and A70-1-5, 1973
- Industrialized Building Systems for Housing by Laurence S. Cutler and Albert G.H. Dietz, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1971
- "Founding of the Museum." NMAI: The National Museum of American Illustration. http://www.americanillustration.org/html/m_founders.html. 13 Aug. 2009.
- "Administration." NMAI: The National Museum of American Illustration. http://www.americanillustration.org/html/m_administration.html. 13 Aug. 2009.
- "The Museum Founders." NMAI: The National Museum of American Illustration. http://www.americanillustration.org/founding.html. 13 Aug. 2009.
- Cutler, Laurence S., and Judy Goffman Cutler. J.C. Leyendecker. New York: Abrams, 2008. Print.
- Frith, Susan. "A Museum of One's Own." University of Pennsylvania Gazette July-Aug. 2002. http://www.upenn.edu/gazette/0702/frith.html.
- Berman, Ann E. "Newport News: An Illustration Museum Debuts in Rhode Island." Architectural Digest, Dec. 1999: 76+. Print.