6 November 1966 |
Antony, Hauts-de-Seine, France
|Alma mater||Université de Paris-Sud
École Normale Supérieure
|Doctoral advisor||Gérard Laumon|
|Doctoral students||Ngô Đắc Tuấn|
|Known for||Proof of Langlands conjectures|
|Notable awards||Clay Research Award (2000)
Fields Medal (2002)
Laurent Lafforgue (French: [lafɔʁɡ]; born 6 November 1966) is a French mathematician. He has made outstanding contributions to Langlands' program in the fields of number theory and analysis, and in particular proved the Langlands conjectures for the automorphism group of a function field. The crucial contribution by Lafforgue to solve this question is the construction of compactifications of certain moduli stacks of shtukas. The monumental proof is the result of more than six years of concentrated efforts.
He won 2 silver medals at International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO) in 1984 and 1985. He entered the École Normale Supérieure in 1986. In 1994 he received his Ph.D. under the direction of Gérard Laumon in the Arithmetic and Algebraic Geometry team at the Université de Paris-Sud. Currently he is a research director of CNRS, detached as permanent professor of mathematics at the Institut des Hautes Études Scientifiques (I.H.E.S.) in Bures-sur-Yvette, France.
He received the Clay Research Award in 2000. His younger brother Vincent Lafforgue is also a notable mathematician. On May 22, 2011, Lafforgue was awarded an honorary Doctor of Science from the University of Notre Dame.
Laurent Lafforgue has two brothers, Thomas and Vincent, both mathematicians. The two brothers are now a teacher in a classe préparatoire aux grandes écoles at Lycée Louis le Grand in Paris and a CNRS researcher at Jussieu's Mathematics Institute, respectively.
Lafforgue is a critic of what he calls the "pedagogically correct" in France's educational system.
- University of Notre Dame. "Honorary Degree". Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- Lafforgue, L. Chtoucas de Drinfeld et applications. [Drinfeld shtukas and applications] Proceedings of the International Congress of Mathematicians, Vol. II (Berlin, 1998). Doc. Math. 1998, Extra Vol. II, 563–570
- Lafforgue, Laurent Chtoucas de Drinfeld, formule des traces d'Arthur-Selberg et correspondance de Langlands. [Drinfeld shtukas, Arthur-Selberg trace formula and Langlands correspondence] Proceedings of the International Congress of Mathematicians, Vol. I (Beijing, 2002), 383–400, Higher Ed. Press, Beijing, 2002.
- Gérard Laumon, The work of Laurent Lafforgue, Proceedings of the ICM, Beijing 2002, vol. 1, 91–97
- Gérard Laumon La correspondance de Langlands sur les corps de fonctions (d'après Laurent Lafforgue), Séminaire Bourbaki, 52e année, 1999–2000, no. 873
- Official home page (in French)
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Laurent Lafforgue", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.
- Laurent Lafforgue at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Laurent Lafforgue's results at the International Mathematical Olympiad
- Lafforgue and education in France L’Affaire Lafforgue (in Portuguese)