Laurent Schwartz (oncologist)
October 1958, 6|
- Morphogenesis is a consequence of physical forces
- The vascular network formation is a consequence of the percolation of the blood flow
- Cancer stellar shape is a direct consequence of loss cell polarity
- Cancer is a metabolic disease This has led to the discovery of a combination of well-established drugs which stop tumor growth in mice
- Tobacco toxicity is a direct consequence of CO2 poisonning
- Inflammation and hyperosmotic pressure are synonymous
- The cellular volume and the electrical charges are intertwined (with Clair Poignard and Frederic Campion).
In 2004 he joined with others to start Biorébus, which is both a think tank and a pharmaceutical company, with the goal of contributing to a change in paradigm in cancer research. It was established as a cooperative as a parallel to the Bourbaki group’s initiative in mathematics in the late 1920s, which was a collective pseudonym under which a group of (mainly French) 20th-century mathematicians wrote a series of books presenting an exposition of modern advanced mathematics. The Biorébus group (most of them from the École Polytechnique, École Normale Supérieure intermingled with physicians, biologists and philosophers) meet every month. It feels that the crucial need is not to produce more data but to organize them in order to simplify biology as to make it understandable. Its work has been on trying to establish the hypotheses that cancer (whatever its subtype) is a metabolic disease akin to diabetes, that inflammation (whatever its cause) is synonymous to increased osmolarity, and that the toxicity of tobacco is a direct consequence of carbon dioxide poisoning
Its continuing goals are to determine whether a combined metabolic therapy (Metabloc) can alleviate tumor growth in humans, to understand the link between cancer in the elderly and Alzheimer's disease, and to write in mathematical terms the similarities between biology and cellular electrical forces.
- Fleury, Vincent; Schwartz, Laurent (2000). Fractals 8 (3): 255–9. doi:10.1142/S0218348X00000317.
- Fleury, Vincent; Schwartz, Laurent (1999). Fractals 7 (1): 33–9. doi:10.1142/S0218348X99000050.
- Fleury, Vincent; Schwartz, Laurent (2003). Fractals 11 (4): 397–414. doi:10.1142/S0218348X0300204X.
- Israël, Maurice; Schwartz, Laurent (2005). Cancer: A Dysmethylation Syndrome. Montrouge: John Libbey Eurotext. ISBN 978-2-7420-0597-0.[page needed]
- Schwartz, L; Abolhassani, M; Guais, A; Sanders, E; Steyaert, JM; Campion, F; Israël, M (2010). "A combination of alpha lipoic acid and calcium hydroxycitrate is efficient against mouse cancer models: preliminary results". Oncology Reports 23 (5): 1407–16. PMID 20372858.
- Guais, Adeline; Baronzio, GianFranco; Sanders, Edward; Campion, Frédéric; Mainini, Carlo; Fiorentini, Giammaria; Montagnani, Francesco; Behzadi, Mahsa et al. (2010). "Adding a combination of hydroxycitrate and lipoic acid (METABLOC™) to chemotherapy improves effectiveness against tumor development: experimental results and case report". Investigational New Drugs 30 (1): 200–11. doi:10.1007/s10637-010-9552-x. PMID 20931262.
- Abolhassani, M.; Guais, A.; Chaumet-Riffaud, P.; Sasco, A. J.; Schwartz, L. (2009). "Carbon dioxide inhalation causes pulmonary inflammation". AJP: Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology 296 (4): L657–65. doi:10.1152/ajplung.90460.2008.
- Schwartz, L; Guais, A; Chaumet-Riffaud, P; Grévillot, G; Sasco, AJ; Molina, TJ; Mohammad, A (2010). "Carbon dioxide is largely responsible for the acute inflammatory effects of tobacco smoke". Inhalation Toxicology 22 (7): 543–51. doi:10.3109/08958370903555909. PMID 20387988.
- Schwartz, L.; Abolhassani, M.; Pooya, M.; Steyaert, J.-M.; Wertz, X.; Israel, M.; Guais, A.; Chaumet-Riffaud, P. (2008). "Hyperosmotic stress contributes to mouse colonic inflammation through the methylation of protein phosphatase 2A". AJP: Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology 295 (5): G934–41. doi:10.1152/ajpgi.90296.2008.
- Abolhassani, M; Wertz, X; Pooya, M; Chaumet-Riffaud, P; Guais, A; Schwartz, L (2008). "Hyperosmolarity causes inflammation through the methylation of protein phosphatase 2A". Inflammation Research 57 (9): 419–29. doi:10.1007/s00011-007-7213-0. PMID 18777115.
- Schwartz, Laurent; Guais, Adeline; Pooya, Mohammad; Abolhassani, Mohammad (2009). "Is inflammation a consequence of extracellular hyperosmolarity?". Journal of Inflammation 6: 21. doi:10.1186/1476-9255-6-21. PMC 2709204. PMID 19549308.
- Poignard, Clair; Silve, Aude; Campion, Frederic; Mir, Lluis M.; Saut, Olivier; Schwartz, Laurent (2010). "Ion fluxes, transmembrane potential, and osmotic stabilization: a new dynamic electrophysiological model for eukaryotic cells". European Biophysics Journal 40 (3): 235–246. doi:10.1007/s00249-010-0641-8. PMID 21079946.
- Perez, Martine (November 8, 2007). "Le principe de vie, selon Laurent Schwartz". Le Figaro (in French).
- Coisne, Sophie. "Laurent Schwartz " Il faut simplifier notre vision du cancer "". La Recherche (in French).