|Directed by||C. Pullaiah and C. S. Rao|
|Produced by||Shankar Reddy|
|Written by||Samudrala Raghavacharya|
|Starring||N. T. Rama Rao,
T. L. Kanta Rao
|Music by||Ghantasala Venkateswara Rao|
|Release dates||29 March 1963|
Lava Kusa (also spelled as Lava Kusha) is a 1963 Telugu mythological film directed by C. S. Rao and Chittajallu Pullayya and written by Samudrala Raghavacharya. The blockbuster film has also won the National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Telugu for that year. It was also dubbed in Tamil and Kannada.
This movie is based on Uttara Kanda which is the later part of Ramayana written by Valmiki Maharshi. It depicts the lives of Lava and Kusa, the sons of Rama and Sita. The story depicts Sri Rama Pattabhishekam and about the brief period of Rama Rajyam, Rama sending Seeta exile on hearing the accusations of a washerman, Birth of Lava and Kusha, their visit to Ayodhya, Ashwamedha Yagna and conflict between Rama and his sons and Pattabhishekam of Lava and Kusha and Rama finally ending his Avatar.
|Nandamuri Taraka Rama Rao||Lord Rama|
|Anjali Devi||Goddess Sita|
|Chittor V. Nagaiah||Valmiki Maharshi|
|Tadepalli Lakshmi Kanta Rao||Laxmana|
|Arja Janardana Rao||Anjaneya|
|Ramana Reddy||Valmiki's disciple|
|Suryakantam||Valmiki disciple's wife|
|Relangi Venkata Ramaiah||Washerman|
|Girija||Wife of Washerman|
- Director: C. S. R. Rao and Chittajallu Pullayya
- Writer: Samudrala Raghavacharya
- Producer: Allareddy Shankar Reddy
- Production Company: Lalitha Siva Jyoti Pictures
- Cinematography: P. L. Roy
- Film Editing: A. Sanjeevi
- Art Direction: T. V. S. Sarma
- Choreography: Vempati Satyam
- Lyrics: Samudrala Raghavacharya, Kosaraju Raghavaiah and Vempati Sadasivabrahmam
- Music Director: Ghantasala Venkateswara Rao
- Playback singers: Jikki Krishnaveni, J. V. Raghavulu, K. Rani, Madhavapeddi Satyam, P. B. Srinivas, P. Leela, Ghantasala Venkateswara Rao, P. Susheela, Mallik
The film has 37 songs and Poems (Padyam), many are very popular and memorable.
|1.||"Sri Vidyam Jagatam Dhatri (Shlokam)"||Vempati Sadasiva||Ghantasala Venkateswara Rao||01:14|
|2.||"Saptashva Rathamarudham Prachandam Kashyapatmajam (Shlokam)"||Ghantasala Venkateswara Rao|
|3.||"Navajyotyo (Poem)"||Ghantasala Venkateswara Rao|
|4.||"Intaku Boonivachchi Vachiyimpaka Podune"||Vempati Sadasiva||Ghantasala Venkateswara Rao|
|5.||"Jaya Jaya Rama Srirama"||Samudrala Raghavacharya||J. V. Raghavulu, Sarojini|
|6.||"Ramanna Ramudu Kodanda Ramudu"||Samudrala Raghavacharya||P. Susheela, Jamuna Rani|
|7.||"Virise Challani Vennela Marala Eenadu Maa Kannula"||Samudrala Raghavacharya||P. Susheela, Jamuna Rani|
|8.||"Ravanu ni Samharinchi Raghuramudu (Poem)"||Samudrala Raghavacharya||Ghantasala Venkateswara Rao|
|9.||"Vollanori Maamaa Nee Pillani"||Ghantasala Venkateswara Rao, Jikki, J. V. Raghavulu, Swarnalata|
|10.||"Ye Mahaniya Sadhvi Jagadeka Pavitrata (Poem)"||Ghantasala Venkateswara Rao|
|11.||"Ye Nimishaniki Yemi Jaruguno Evaruuhinchedaru"||Kosaraju||Ghantasala Venkateswara Rao|
|12.||"Jagadabhi Ramudu Sriraamude"||Samudrala Raghavacharya||Ghantasala Venkateswara Rao, P. Susheela, P. Leela, Mallik|
|13.||"Enduke Naa Meeda Kopam Emite Ni Paritaapam"||Pithapuram Nageswara Rao, Swarnalata|
|14.||"Ramakathanu Vinarayyaa Ihapara Sukhamulanosage"||Samudrala Raghavacharya||P. Susheela, P. Leela|
|15.||"Vurake Kanniru Nimpa Kaaranameemamma"||P. Susheela, P. Leela|
|16.||"Vinudu Vinudu Ramayana Gaatha Vinudee Manasara"||Samudrala Raghavacharya||P. Susheela, P. Leela|
|17.||"Sriraamuni Charitamunu Telipedamamma"||Samudrala Raghavacharya||P. Susheela, P. Leela|
|18.||"Sriraghavam Dasharathatmaja Maprameyam"||P. Susheela, P. Leela|
|19.||"Srirama Sugunadhama Jayarama Paramdhama"||P. Susheela, P. Leela|
|20.||"Sandehimchaku Mammu Raghuramu Premanu Sitamma"||Kosaraju||Ghantasala Venkateswara Rao|
|21.||"Ashwamedha Yagaaniki Jayamu Jayamu Jayamu"||Samudrala Raghavacharya||Ghantasala Venkateswara Rao, Madhavapeddi, Raghavulu, Rani, Sarojini|
|22.||"Savanaashwambu idi Veera Maatayagu Kausalya (Poem)"||Samudrala Raghavacharya||P. Susheela|
|23.||"Hreemkaraasana (Poem)"||P. Susheela|
|24.||"Leru Kushalavula Saati Sari Veerulu Dharrunilo"||Vempati Sadasiva||P. Susheela, P. Leela|
|25.||"Stree Balavrudhula Thega"||Samudrala Raghavacharya||Ghantasala, P. Susheela, P. Leela|
|26.||"Sriraama Parandhamaa Jayarama Parandhama"||Samudrala Raghavacharya||P. Susheela, P. Leela, Jamuna Rani|
- It was released in 26 centres and had run for 100-days in all the 26 centres.
- It had a 175-day run in 16 centres,grossing more than Rs.10 million.
- National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Telugu
- Rashtrapati Award- best acting N. T. Rama Rao and Tadepalli Lakshmi Kanta Rao.
- It's the first Telugu film to gross Rs. 10 million.
- This movie is considered to be the biggest blockbuster of all time in the annals of Telugu film history.
- Production began in 1958 but was stopped due to financial constraints. When it restarted, C. Pullaiah's health was deteriorating, so his son C.S. Rao took over.
- It is also produced in Tamil.
- This film was produced by Allareddy Shankara Reddy who went on to make other blockbusters - Rahasyam (starring ANR) and Sati Savitri (starring the legendary N.T.Rama Rao). Prior to producing Lava Kusha, the Allareddy family produced Manavati and Charanadasi under the Lalita Siva Jyoti banner.
- Master Nagaraju who played the role of Lava is the only son of popular stage and film actor A. V. Subba Rao. He started his career with Bhakta Ramadas of Chittor V. Nagaiah in 1957. He continued in the cine field and acted in Sepoy Kuthuru, Tiger Ramudu, Annadammulu, Laxmi Kataksham, Sampoorna Ramayanam, Satynarayana Vrata Mahatyam, Bhishma, Sitarama Kalyanam, Antastulu, Sri Krishnavataram, Chakradhari, Vinayaka Vijayam, Ashtalakshmi Vaibhavam.
- Master Subramanyam who played the role of Kusha is son of V. Subba Rao. He has acted in films like Velugu Needalu, Sitarama Kalyanam (as Balaramudu), Sri Venkateswara Mahatyam. He is now established as tailor near Amalapuram.
- Lava Kusa complete 50 years on March 29, 2013 . It is considered a landmark in Telugu Cinema History.
- "11th National Film Awards". International Film Festival of India. Retrieved September 13, 2011.
- Lava Kusha songs and padyams at Ghantasala Galamrutamu.
- CineGoer.com - Box-Office Records And Collections - Lavakusha's All-Time Records
- CineGoer.com - Box-Office Records And Collections - Silver Jubilee Films Of NTR
- "Lava Kusa completes golden Jubilee of 50 years". cinesiren. Retrieved March 27, 2013.