|Albanian State Police
Policia e Shtetit
|Logo of the Albanian Police|
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government agency|
|Governing body||Ministry of Interior|
The Albanian State Police is the national police and law enforcement agency which operates throughout the Republic of Albania. The falling down of the Communist system and the setting up of the political pluralism after the year 1991 brought important changes in the structure of the Albanian Police. In April 1991, was established the Ministry of Public Order and the General Directorate of Police. By the new law in July 1991, was created the Police of Public Order. Nearly 80% of the old personnel of police was replaced by new personnel. On November 4, 1991 the Albanian Police was accepted in INTERPOL. The emergency number is 129.
According to a survey produced in 2009 for the United States Agency for International Development Albanian's perception of the police was as follows:
- On a scale of 0-100 with 0 being Very Honest and 100 being Very Corrupt, Policemen were given a score of 63.1 points
- When asked to what extent the police help to fight corruption, 0 being Not at All and 100 being Helps a Lot, the Police were given a score of 45.5
- When asked about trust in institutions, 0 being No Trust at All and 100 being Trust a Lot, the Police were given a score of 47.8
- When asked if during the previous year they had been asked for a bribe 7.8% said Yes
- "When asked how they were treated by the police, the proportion of respondents that replied “Poorly” or “Very poorly” was 26.6%, a decrease of 10.9 percentage points from 37.5% in 2005"
- "Eighty-fifth anniversary of Albanian police founding commemorated", Albanian Telegraphic Agency, 11 January 1998
- "Corruption in Albania 2009 - Summary of Findings". Institute for Development Research and Alternatives. Retrieved 2010-09-09.
- Sigurimi, the former secret police force
|This Albania-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This law enforcement agency article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|