|Local authority||City of Leeds|
Lawnswood School is a specialist Mathematics and Computing College, which teaches approximately 1500 male and female pupils, aged 11–18.
The school was founded in 1972 and had its first comprehensive intake in 1974. Its predecessors were the Leeds Modern School, a boys' grammar school (founded 1845) attended by Alan Bennett, and Lawnswood High School for Girls, a girls' grammar school (founded 1854), which moved to the current Lawnswood site in 1932.
The sixth form was judged as Grade 2 and "consistently good" in the 2009 Ofsted inspection, but the school as a whole was rated as Grade 4 (Inadequate) for overall effectiveness. and consequently placed into special measures. However, the school was said to be improving. During an early 2011 Ofsted visit, the school was judged to be "making good progress in all the key areas," and in July 2011 the school was taken out of special measures. In late 2013, Ofsted rated the school Grade 2 (Good) for overall effectiveness.
Pupils study to GCSE in year 9.
||This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability or notability policies. (November 2014)|
- Alan Bennett, celebrated English playwright, screenwriter and author (Leeds Modern School)
- James Brown, founder of Loaded
- John Craven BBC journalist and television presenter (Leeds Modern School)
- Mark Curry, Television presenter.
- Bob Peck, Actor (Leeds Modern School)
- Jodie Aysha, Singer
- Gaynor Faye, Actor
- Ikram Butt, professional rugby league footballer
- Vince Fawcett, professional rugby league footballer
- Noel Whelan, professional Premier League footballer
- Eleanor Catton, 2013 Man Booker Prize winner (foreign exchange)
- Stephen Connolly, classical singer best known as bass in The King's Singers
- Lawnswood School Ofsted Reports
- "Most Improved School Facing Special Measures Bombshell", Yorkshire Post 25 September 2009
- "Lawnswood School Ofsted Update", Yorkshire Post
- "Alan Bennett: Playwright to return to Leeds school"Yorkshire Evening Post, 12 March 2011
- 'Lawnswood School Website homepage'
- School website
- Ofsted reports
- DFES statistics
- History of Lawnswood High School for Girls
- History of Leeds Modern School