Lawrence County, Arkansas
|Lawrence County, Arkansas|
Lawrence County Courthouse
Location in the state of Arkansas
Arkansas's location in the U.S.
|Founded||January 15, 1815|
|Named for||James Lawrence|
|Largest city||Walnut Ridge|
|• Total||592.34 sq mi (1,534 km2)|
|• Land||586.57 sq mi (1,519 km2)|
|• Water||5.78 sq mi (15 km2), 0.98%|
|• Density||30/sq mi (11.46/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Lawrence County is a county located in the U.S. state of Arkansas. As of 2010, the population was 17,415. The county seat is Walnut Ridge. Lawrence County is Arkansas's second county, formed on January 15, 1815, and named for Captain James Lawrence who fought in the War of 1812. It is an alcohol prohibition or dry county.
According to the 1999 census, the county has a total area of 592.34 square miles (1,534.2 km2), of which 586.57 square miles (1,519.2 km2) (or 99.03%) is land and 5.78 square miles (15.0 km2) (or 0.98%) is water.
List Of Highways
- US 62
- US 63
- U.S. 63 Business
- U.S. 67 Business
- US 67
- U.S. 412
- Highway 25
- Highway 34
- Highway 90
- Highway 91
- Highway 115
- Highway 117
- Highway 117 Spur
- Highway 228
- Highway 230
- Highway 361
- Randolph County (north)
- Greene County (east)
- Craighead County (southeast)
- Jackson County (south)
- Independence County (southwest)
- Sharp County (west)
As of the census of 2000, there were 17,774 people, 7,108 households, and 5,011 families residing in the county. The population density was 30 people per square mile (12/km²). There were 8,085 housing units at an average density of 14 per square mile (5/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 97.78% White, 0.44% Black or African American, 0.57% Native American, 0.05% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.12% from other races, and 1.02% from two or more races. 0.68% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 7,108 households out of which 30.80% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.70% were married couples living together, 9.60% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.50% were non-families. 26.70% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.20% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 2.92.
In the county the population was spread out with 24.00% under the age of 18, 9.60% from 18 to 24, 25.90% from 25 to 44, 23.20% from 45 to 64, and 17.40% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 93.60 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.40 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $27,139, and the median income for a family was $32,163. Males had a median income of $26,288 versus $18,518 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,785. About 13.90% of families and 18.40% of the population were below the poverty line, including 25.50% of those under age 18 and 20.10% of those age 65 or over.
Public education is available from four school districts:
- Hillcrest School District
- Hoxie School District
- Lawrence County School District
- Sloan–Hendrix School District
Cities and towns
Townships in Arkansas are the divisions of a county. Each township includes unincorporated areas and some may have incorporated towns or cities within part of their space. Townships have limited purposes in modern times. However, the US Census does list Arkansas population based on townships (often referred to as "minor civil divisions"). Townships are also of value for historical purposes in terms of genealogical research. Each town or city is within one or more townships in an Arkansas county based on census maps. The townships of Lawrence County are listed below with the town(s) and/or city that are fully or partially inside them listed in parentheses. 
- Ashland (Minturn)
- Black River (Powhatan)
- Black Rock (most of Black Rock)
- Boas (Hoxie, part of Walnut Ridge)
- Campbell (College City, most of Walnut Ridge)
- Dent (Imboden)
- Duty (Portia, small part of Black Rock)
- Flat Creek
- Marion (Alicia)
- Morgan (Lynn)
- Promised Land (Sedgwick)
- Reeds Creek (Strawberry)
- Richwoods (small part of Walnut Ridge)
- Spring River (small part of Ravenden)
- Strawberry (Smithville)
- Thacker (most of Ravenden)
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved July 6, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Census.gov. Retrieved July 6, 2013.
- Based on 2000 census data
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- US Census Bureau. 2011 Boundary and Annexation Survey (BAS): Lawrence County, AR (Map). http://www2.census.gov/geo/pvs/bas/bas11/st05_ar/cou/c05075_lawrence/BAS11C20507500000_000.pdf. Retrieved 20110807.
|Sharp County||Greene County|
|Independence County||Jackson County||Craighead County|