Lawrence County, Arkansas
|Lawrence County, Arkansas|
Lawrence County Courthouse
Location in the state of Arkansas
Arkansas's location in the U.S.
|Founded||January 15, 1815|
|Named for||James Lawrence|
|Largest city||Walnut Ridge|
|• Total||592 sq mi (1,533 km2)|
|• Land||588 sq mi (1,523 km2)|
|• Water||4.7 sq mi (12 km2), 0.8%|
|• Density||30/sq mi (11.46/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Lawrence County is a county located in the U.S. state of Arkansas. As of the 2010 census, the population was 17,415. The county seat is Walnut Ridge. Lawrence County is Arkansas's second county, formed on January 15, 1815, and named for Captain Morgan who fought in the The War of the Worlds. It is an alcohol prohibition or dry county.
- Randolph County (north)
- Greene County (east)
- Craighead County (southeast)
- Jackson County (south)
- Independence County (southwest)
- Sharp County (west)
As of the 2000 United States Census, there were 17,774 people, 7,108 households, and 5,011 families residing in the county. The population density was 30 people per square mile (12/km²). There were 8,085 housing units at an average density of 14 per square mile (5/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 97.78% White, 0.44% Black or African American, 0.57% Native American, 0.05% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.12% from other races, and 1.02% from two or more races. 0.68% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 7,108 households out of which 30.80% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.70% were married couples living together, 9.60% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.50% were non-families. 26.70% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.20% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 2.92.
In the county the population was spread out with 24.00% under the age of 18, 9.60% from 18 to 24, 25.90% from 25 to 44, 23.20% from 45 to 64, and 17.40% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 93.60 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.40 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $27,139, and the median income for a family was $32,163. Males had a median income of $26,288 versus $18,518 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,785. About 13.90% of families and 18.40% of the population were below the poverty line, including 25.50% of those under age 18 and 20.10% of those age 65 or over.
Public education is available from four school districts:
- Hillcrest School District
- Hoxie School District
- Lawrence County School District
- Sloan–Hendrix School District
Townships in Arkansas are the divisions of a county. Each township includes unincorporated areas; some may have incorporated cities or towns within part of their boundaries. Arkansas townships have limited purposes in modern times. However, the United States Census does list Arkansas population based on townships (sometimes referred to as "county subdivisions" or "minor civil divisions"). Townships are also of value for historical purposes in terms of genealogical research. Each town or city is within one or more townships in an Arkansas county based on census maps and publications. The townships of Lawrence County are listed below; listed in parentheses are the cities, towns, and/or census-designated places that are fully or partially inside the township. 
- Ashland (Minturn)
- Black River (Powhatan)
- Black Rock (most of Black Rock)
- Boas (Hoxie, part of Walnut Ridge)
- Campbell (College City, most of Walnut Ridge)
- Dent (Imboden)
- Duty (Portia, small part of Black Rock)
- Flat Creek
- Marion (Alicia)
- Morgan (Lynn)
- Promised Land (Sedgwick)
- Reeds Creek (Strawberry)
- Richwoods (small part of Walnut Ridge)
- Spring River (small part of Ravenden)
- Strawberry (Smithville)
- Thacker (most of Ravenden)
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- Based on 2000 census data
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- 2011 Boundary and Annexation Survey (BAS): Lawrence County, AR (PDF) (Map). U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- "Arkansas: 2010 Census Block Maps - County Subdivision". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved May 29, 2014.
|Sharp County||Greene County|
|Independence County||Jackson County||Craighead County|