He is the author of the novel Ania Malina, a book about Paris, Paris Dreambook, the essay collection The Poisoned Embrace, a controversial book about autism called American Normal, and three subsequent travel books published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux between 2004 and 2009: a book about wine, The Accidental Connoisseur, The Naked Tourist, and an account of expatriate life in Bangkok called Bangkok Days. His short stories have appeared in many American magazines. His story Volcano originally published in Tin House was selected for inclusion in Best American Short Stories 2012. His novel The Forgiven was published in 2012 to widespread acclaim. It was selected by The Economist as one of the Best Books of the Year for 2012.
He has been published widely as a journalist in the United States, most notably in the New York Times Magazine, The New Yorker, Gourmet, Salon, Playboy, and The Conde Naste Traveler. He was also been an occasional op ed columnist at Forbes.com and is a frequent contributor to Newsweek International, The Daily Beast and The Wall Street Journal Magazine.His recent feature for Playboy, Getting a Drink in Islamabad won a 2011 Thomas Lowell Award for Travel Journalism.
- Osborne, Lawrence. Ania Malina. Jonathan Cape, 1986; Scribner's; King Penguin.
- Osborne, Lawrence. Paris Dreambook. Bloomsbury Publishing PLC, 1990; Vintage Contemporaries.
- Osborne, Lawrence. The Poisoned Embrace. Bloomsbury, 1993; Pantheon.
- Osborne, Lawrence. American Normal. Copernicus Books, 2002. ISBN 0-387-95307-8 (hardcover, 224 pages).
- Osborne, Lawrence. The Accidental Connoisseur. Farrar Straus Giroux, 2004.
- Osborne, Lawrence. The Naked Tourist. Farrar Straus Giroux, 2006.
- Osborne, Lawrence. Bangkok Days. Farrar Straus Giroux, North Point Press, 2009.
- New York Times Search: Lawrence Osborne
- Osborne, Lawrence. "Letter from New Guinea: Strangers in the Forest". The New Yorker, April 18, 2005, p. 124.
- Articles online
- Lawrence Osborne's Newsweek cover story profile of Manny Pacquiao
- Lawrence Osborne's interview with Pedro Almodovar
- Ania Malina in The New York Times
- An Interview With Lawrence Osborne
- Bangkok Days in the New York Times
- The Naked Tourist in the New York Times
- The Naked Tourist second review in the New York Times
- Interview with Lawrence Osborne
- The Accidental Connoisseur reviewed by Tony Hendra in The New York Times
- The Accidental Connoisseur reviewed by Jancis Robinson in The Financial Times
- Interview with Lawrence Osborne in The Village Voice
- The Poisoned Embrace in The Independent
- American Normal in Salon.com
- Paris Dreambook in The Los Angeles Times
- Bangkok Days in the New York Times Book Review December 2009
- Starred review in Publisher's Weekly for "The Forgiven" September 2012
- Starred review in Kirkus Review for "The Forgiven" September 2012
- Review of "The Forgiven" in The New York Times Book Review September 2012
- Novelist Akhil Sharma reviews "The Forgiven" in Newsweek Daily Beast Books