Lawrence Township, Lawrence County, Ohio
|Lawrence Township, Lawrence County, Ohio|
Former store in the township
Municipalities and townships of Lawrence County
|• Total||33.4 sq mi (86.5 km2)|
|• Land||33.4 sq mi (86.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||879 ft (268 m)|
|• Density||77.1/sq mi (29.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086443|
Located in the central part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Aid Township - north
- Mason Township - northeast corner
- Windsor Township - east
- Union Township - southeast corner
- Fayette Township - south
- Perry Township - southwest
- Upper Township - west
- Elizabeth Township - northwest
It is the only county township without a border on another county.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
The vast majority of educational services in Lawrence Township is provided by the Rock Hill Local School District (Pre-K through 12), although smaller portions are served by the Dawson-Bryant Local School District, and the Symmes Valley Local School District.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Lawrence County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.