Lawrence Township, Tuscarawas County, Ohio
|Lawrence Township, Ohio|
|• Total||26.6 sq mi (69.0 km2)|
|• Land||26.5 sq mi (68.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||938 ft (286 m)|
|• Density||197.8/sq mi (76.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1087058|
Lawrence Township is one of the twenty-two townships of Tuscarawas County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 5,241 people in the township, 4,154 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Pike Township, Stark County - northeast
- Sandy Township - east
- Fairfield Township - southeast
- Dover Township - south
- Franklin Township - west
- Bethlehem Township, Stark County - northwest
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. The current trustees are Donald Ackerman, Randy Burkhart, and Mark Haueter, and the fiscal officer is John McClellan.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Tuscarawas County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Tuscarawas County, Ohio — Engineer: Joseph S. Bachman. Tuscarawas County. Accessed 2007-06-01.