|Origin||England, United Kingdom|
|Labels||Polydor, Mercury, Island|
Lawson is an English pop rock band, consisting of Andy Brown (guitar, lead vocals), Ryan Fletcher (bass guitar, backing vocals), Joel Peat (lead guitar, backing vocals) and Adam Pitts (drums). The band's debut album, Chapman Square, was released on 22 October 2012 and reached number three on the UK Albums Chart. To date, the band have achieved six UK top 20 hit singles. They are named after Liverpool-based surgeon Dr. David Lawson who performed life-saving surgery on Brown.
2009–2012: Early career and breakthrough
The band was formed in late 2009 and was earlier known as "The Groves" but they later changed their name to "Lawson" when Dr. David Lawson performed a life-saving brain surgery on the lead singer Andy Brown. Lawson began recording material in early 2010. Acoustic versions of their early original material as well as covers of artists such as Bruno Mars and Adele built up an online fanbase. They soon began playing gigs around the United Kingdom, including the Wireless Festival and the Ultrasound Festival.
On 8 September 2011, it was announced that the band had been signed to Polydor Records, with a lucrative two-album deal on the cards. After signing to a major label, Lawson were tasked with opening for acts such as The Wanted, Will Young, Avril Lavigne, and Jessie J. The band toured extensively at the beginning of 2012, fitting in a headline tour of the UK in January and another in May as well as a one-off intimate show at Monto Water Rats in London which was streamed worldwide in April. During this time the band worked on material for their debut album with writers and producers such as Carl Falk and John Shanks.
2012–2013: Chapman Square
The band's first official single, "When She Was Mine", was released in May 2012 and reached number four on the UK Singles Chart. Following the single release, the band undertook their second headline tour, selling out venues in London, Glasgow, Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham, Sheffield and Birmingham. The band's second single, "Taking Over Me", was released on in August 2012, peaking at number three in the UK. In the summer of 2012, Lawson performed at T in the Park, V Festival and alongside Bruce Springsteen at Hard Rock Calling. They also announced a Hometown Tour, playing dates from October through November in their respective home towns and London, where they reside now. In October 2012, the band released their third official single, "Standing in the Dark", which reached number six in the UK. The band later revealed that their debut album, Chapman Square, would be released on 22 October. Guitarist Joel Peat said of the album: "We're all so excited to release our debut album, we've been building up to it for the past four years, and the album's title for us is special, because it is the first place that we played together as a band. Going out on tour to support the album is amazing too. Doing shows in our home towns feels like the perfect way to celebrate. Performing live is what we love the most, so to be able to play our biggest venues to date in the cities where we grew up is very special." Lawson cited many inspirations for their debut album, including John Mayer and Taylor Swift. On 22 October 2012, Lawson released Chapman Square, peaking at number four in the UK Albums Chart. The album was later certified gold. The band finished the year performing at the Oxford Street Christmas Lights switch on with Robbie Williams and at the Capital FM Jingle Bell Ball where their performance was watched by Taylor Swift.
At the beginning of 2013, Lawson played their first headline shows in the US and Canada selling out New York's Bowery Ballroom, The Troubadour in LA and The Mod Club in Canada. In February, they embarked on the Chapman Square tour, playing 18 sold out shows in the UK and Ireland. While working on new tracks for the repack of Chapman Square they visited South East Asia and Australia as well as announcing numerous festival dates including T in the Park, V Festival and Hard Rock Calling for the second year running and Isle of Wight Festival for the first time.
2013: Chapman Square / Chapter II
"Brokenhearted", featuring American rapper B.o.B, was released as the lead single from the repackaged version of Chapman Square in July 2013, reaching number six in the UK. B.o.B flew over to the UK to perform Brokenhearted with the band at Wembley Stadium for the Capital FM Summertime Ball. The band announced their second single, "Juliet", while on tour in the US for the second time in 2013. The track was released on 13 October 2013. British model and actress Kelly Brook stars as the titular character in the video. The band were included in the line-up of the iTunes Festival 2013, opening for Jessie J. Lawson began their biggest headline tour to date, the "Everywhere We Go Tour", in September 2013. The repackaged version of their debut album titled Chapman Square / Chapter II was released on 21 October 2013. The reissue featured all twelve of the songs from standard edition of the Chapman Square (though not the full sixteen of the deluxe edition), plus six new songs. The deluxe edition of Chapter II includes a second disc including acoustic songs and a short tour film.
In 2014, according to the updates at Facebook by Ryan Fletcher, he wrote " Lawson have been in Iceland to do a photo shoot for their new album, and maybe to film a video... More news soon!" Currently in December 2014, they are at Nashville, TN, USA doing some records. It is expected that the album to release at early of 2015 and to do a tour soon. The name for the album is still unknown. On 2 February 2015 Lawson announced via Twitter that their first gig (after releasing the new album) would be at live at Leeds on 2 May 2015. On March 10, 2015, Lawson announce the name of the lead single of their second album "Roads" after being played for the first time on in demand radio. lawson then released a lyric video to "Roads" straight after play being posted to there YouTube channel. Roads is available to pre - order now and will be available from 10 May 2015. Lawson have also announced their album which is due released sometime in 2015. Lawson still hasn't announced a name for the third upcoming album.
- Andrew Christopher "Andy" Brown (born 8 May 1987 in Fazakerley, Liverpool) Andy plays the acoustic guitar and is the lead singer of the band. He is the oldest member of group and previously dated Mollie King from The Saturdays. He used to be in the boy band Avenue along with Max George of The Wanted. He attended St Bede's High School, Ormskirk and Winstanley College, Wigan.
- Adam James Pitts (born 24 December 1990 in Brighton) is the band's drummer. Adam is the youngest member in Lawson.
- Joel Gilchrist Peat (born 27 June 1990 in Mansfield) plays lead guitar. He and Ryan attended the same university.
- Ryan Gary Fletcher (born 9 January 1990 in Chesterfield) Is the band's bass guitarist. He and Joel attended the same university (ACM).
In December 2013, the first official mobile game was launched for the band by SoshiGames of Birmingham, UK. Available across iOS (Apple), Android (Google Play) and Facebook, the trivia game tests the players knowledge of the band, its members and music.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions||Certifications|
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2012||"When She Was Mine"||4||46||—||—||4||Chapman Square|
|"Taking Over Me"||3||32||39||—||3|
|"Standing in the Dark"||6||50||—||—||5|
|"Learn to Love Again"||13||50||—||—||9|
|6||12||40||—||5||Chapman Square - Chapter II|
|"—" denotes single that did not chart or was not released.|
|2012||"When She Was Mine"||Declan Whitebloom|
|"Taking Over Me"||Josh Forbes|
|"Standing in the Dark"||Nick Bartleet|
|"Learn To Love Again"||Shane Drake|
- "Lawson's Andy Brown Visits The Doctor Who Saved His Life - Pictures, News and Music Videos - Heart FM". Heart.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-08-13.
- Lawson meet Dr Lawson! - ITV News
- "Wireless 2010 :: Line Up". Wirelessfestival.co.uk. 2010-07-02. Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- "Tamworth UltraSound Music Festival - Tamworth". Urldir.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- Lawson at Universal Music
- Green, Laurence (2011-11-19). "Lawson to head out on tour with Will Young". TotallyVivid. Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- "Avril Lavigne @ HMV Apollo 21st September 2011 « Planet Music Reviews". Planetmusicreviews.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- Jessie J at Warwick Castle
- Lawson Announce 2012 Headline UK Shows - Stereoboard
- Lawson Announce New May UK Tour - Capital FM
- Lawson play Monto Water Rats | Reviews | News | 4Music
- "First listen: Lawson's When She Was Mine". 4Music. 2012-03-29. Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- "Lawson Set To Tour In May". The Student Magazine. Retrieved 2012-05-03.
- T In The Park | T Break Stage, , UK, Sunday, 8 July 2012
- Lawson at V Festival 2012 | Gallery | 4Music
- Lawson - Hard Rock Calling 2012 - Digital Spy
- Lawson announce UK 'Home Town' tour - Music News - Digital Spy
- Lawson's Andy Brown: 'Taylor Swift told us she loves Standing in the Dark' | Sugarscape |
- Robbie Williams Hails Lawson As "Lovely Lads" After Christmas Lights Ceremony - Capital FM
- Lawson Announce US Tour Dates For January 2013 - Capital FM
- Lawson Announce Chapman Square Tour For Feb And March 2013 | Contactmusic.com
- "Lawson - Asia Tour 2013 | Getmusic Asia". News.getmusicasia.com. 2013-02-25. Retrieved 2014-08-13.
- Lawson Announce First Australian Concert - The Hot Hits
- April 2013 – Ke$ha, Little Mix, Lawson and more join 20th year celebrations
- V Festival 2013 Confirms John Newman, Idris Elba, Naughty Boy, Seasick Steve And Lawson | Contactmusic.com
- "Calling Festival 2014 | Official Calling Festival Website". Hardrockcalling.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-08-13.
- Lawson Joined By B.o.B During Summertime Ball 2013 Performance - Capital FM
- Juliet Announcement from NYC! - YouTube
- Tinie Tempah, Lawson, Avicii & Bastille added to iTunes Festival 2013 | General | News | 4Music
- Lawson announce 'Everywhere We Go' UK tour - Music News - Digital Spy
- Chapman Square / Chapter II – PREORDER NOW! | |