13 September 1994
Bury, Greater Manchester, UK
Layton Williams (born 13 September 1994) is an English stage actor, best known as one of the boys who played the title role in Billy Elliot the Musical at the Victoria Palace Theatre in London's West End, and as the character Kylie in the BBC UK TV series Beautiful People 2008 and 2009.
Early life and training
After several months of training at the Billy Elliot Academy in Leeds, Williams debuted in Billy Elliot the Musical on 26 February 2007. His training was documented on The Paul O'Grady Show in May 2006 in which he appeared again on the 25th May 2007 and then in several morning TV shows, TV interviews, and short clips related to the musical. He is the second non-Caucasian boy, the other being Matthew Koon, and the first mixed race youth to star in the show. He gave his finale performance in the musical on 29 November 2008; Williams is still the second-longest running performer as 'Billy' in the show's history. On 31 January 2009, 2 months after his final performance, Layton appeared on the programme Feelgood Factor on ITV, where he and two other 'Billy' actors, Tanner Pflueger and Tom Holland, performed a specially choreographed version of Angry Dance from Billy Elliot the Musical.
Williams has studied street dance and drama at Carol Godby's Theatre workshop in Bury, Greater Manchester. He also studied ballet at Centre Pointe, Manchester. Williams was awarded a scholarship to Sylvia Young Theatre School in Marylebone, London and stayed there until 2008. He attended Broad Oak High School in Bury, his home town, but now attends the Italia Conti Academy of Theatre Arts. During his time at the Italia Conti Academy of Theatre Arts Williams was featured in a children's documentary 'School for Star' which was broadcast on the children's television channel CBBC.
He was offered the part as young Michael Jackson in the West End Musical Thriller Live where he did a few performances before he outgrew the role. Williams became well known to a TV audience as the character Kylie – acting, dancing, and singing – in the 2008 and 2009 BBC Two comedy Beautiful People, series 1 and 2. Since 2012 he has played Stephen Carmichael in the BBC Comedy Bad Education.
- 2007–2008: Billy Elliot the Musical
- 2008–2009: Beautiful People comedy series
- 2011: School for Stars CBBC reality TV Series
- 2011: Postcode CBBC drama
- 2012-2014: Bad Education BBC Three comedy
- 2013: School for Stars (CBBC TV reality series) Series 3 episode 5
- "Photo Flash: Layton Williams Debuts as Billy Elliot". Broadwayworld.com. 2007-02-26.
- "Billy Elliot Description – Roles in Billy Elliot (contracts of the cast)". Londonmusicals Online. Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- "Press Office – Beautiful People Press Pack". BBC. 2008-10-02. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- Teeman, Tim (2008-10-03). "Beautiful People; Ian Hislop Goes Off the Rails; Natural Born Sellers". The Times (London: Times Newspapers). Retrieved 2008-10-08.
- Eyre, Hermione (2008-10-08). "Jamie's Ministry of Food, Channel 4; Beautiful People, BBC2; Ian Hislop Goes Off The Rails, BBC4". The Independent (Independent News and Media). Retrieved 2008-10-08.
- BBC Three – Bad Education – Profiles. Bbc.co.uk (1970-01-01). Retrieved on 2012-12-08.