Location in Mendocino County and the state of California
|• Total||5.434 sq mi (14.072 km2)|
|• Land||5.367 sq mi (13.900 km2)|
|• Water||0.067 sq mi (0.172 km2) 1.22%|
|Elevation||1,670 ft (509 m)|
|• Density||230/sq mi (87/km2)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|ZIP codes||95417, 95454|
|GNIS feature ID||1658951|
Laytonville is a census-designated place (CDP) in Mendocino County, California, United States. Laytonville, is located 20 miles (32 km) north-northwest of Willits, at an elevation of 1670 feet (509 m). The population was 1,227 at the 2010 census, down from 1,301 at the 2000 census. It also has a very successful Healthy Start program that does a lot of postitive things for the community.
Laytonville is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 5.4 square miles (14 km2), of which, 5.4 square miles (14 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (1.22%) is water.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Laytonville had a population of 1,227. The reported population density was 225.8 people per square mile (87.2/km²), however this figure is inaccurate due to the fact that the reported population includes the majority of the population who live outside the town limits. The actual population density is much less than 225.8 people per square mile. The racial makeup of Laytonville was 839 (68.4%) White, 16 (1.3%) African American, 244 (19.9%) Native American, 10 (0.8%) Asian, 1 (0.1%) Pacific Islander, 60 (4.9%) from other races, and 57 (4.6%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 141 persons (11.5%).
The Census reported that 1,226 people (99.9% of the population) lived in households, 1 (0.1%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 0 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 493 households, out of which 163 (33.1%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 166 (33.7%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 82 (16.6%) had a female householder with no husband present, 48 (9.7%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 59 (12.0%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 8 (1.6%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 146 households (29.6%) were made up of individuals and 37 (7.5%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.49. There were 296 families (60.0% of all households); the average family size was 3.04.
The population was spread out with 271 people (22.1%) under the age of 18, 96 people (7.8%) aged 18 to 24, 326 people (26.6%) aged 25 to 44, 384 people (31.3%) aged 45 to 64, and 150 people (12.2%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40.0 years. For every 100 females there were 108.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 104.7 males.
There were 562 housing units at a reported average density of 103.4 per square mile (39.9/km²), however this figure is inaccurate due to the fact that the reported number of housing units includes the majority of those outside the town limits. The actual density is much less than 103.4 per square mile. Of these 562 housing units in the Laytonville area, 270 (54.8%) were owner-occupied, and 223 (45.2%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 1.1%; the rental vacancy rate was 9.7%. 640 people (52.2% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 586 people (47.8%) lived in rental housing units.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,301 people, 496 households, and 344 families residing in the CDP. The reported population density was 258.0 people per square mile (99.7/km²),however this figure is inaccurate due to the fact that the reported population includes the majority of the population who live outside the town limits. The actual population density is much less than 258.0 people per square mile.. There were 546 housing units at a reported average density of 108.3 per square mile (41.8/km²), however this figure is inaccurate due to the fact that the reported number of housing units includes the majority of those outside the town limits. The actual density is much less than 108.3 per square mile. The racial makeup of the CDP was 75.17% White, 0.23% African American, 15.37% Native American, 0.69% Asian, 0.77% Pacific Islander, 2.23% from other races, and 5.53% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 8.30% of the population.
There were 496 households out of which 33.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.2% were married couples living together, 15.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.6% were non-families. 23.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.62 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 25.7% under the age of 18, 9.6% from 18 to 24, 26.7% from 25 to 44, 25.8% from 45 to 64, and 12.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 101.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.8 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $34,432, and the median income for a family was $38,080. Males had a median income of $33,269 versus $21,563 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $19,367. About 19.0% of families and 21.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 29.1% of those under age 18 and 11.0% of those age 65 or over.
- U.S. Census
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Laytonville, California
- Durham, David L. (1998). California's Geographic Names: A Gazetteer of Historic and Modern Names of the State. Quill Driver Books. p. 91. ISBN 9781884995149.
- Hogle, Gene NAC Green Book of Pacific Coast Touring (1931) National Automobile Club p.45
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Senators". State of California. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- "Members Assembly". State of California. Retrieved March 2, 2013.
- "California's 2nd Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Laytonville, California.|