June 3, 1980 |
|Listed height||7 ft 0 in (2.13 m)|
|Listed weight||265 lb (120 kg)|
|Pro playing career||1996–present|
|2004–2007||Dynamo Moscow (Russia SL)|
|2007–2008||Real Madrid (Spain)|
|2008–2009||Fortitudo Bologna (Italy)|
|2011||Khimki (Russia PBL)|
|Career highlights and awards|
Papadopoulos began his professional career playing for the Greek club Iraklis in the 1996-97 season. After five years with Iraklis, he signed to play for the Greek League powerhouse Panathinaikos in 2001, and he stayed there until 2003. He then returned to Iraklis the following season, and stayed there for only one year, before next signing with Dynamo Moscow of the Russian Superleague in the year 2004. In 2007, he joined the Spanish ACB League club Real Madrid. In 2008, he joined Fortitudo Bologna of the Italian League.
He won the Euroleague Championship during the Euroleague 2001-02 season, while he was with Panathinaikos, and also the Eurocup Championship while he was with Dynamo Moscow in the year 2006. In 2007, his performances with Dynamo Moscow during the Euroleague 2006-07 season, earned him a selection into the All-Euroleague Second team. He joined PAOK for the 2009-10 season, and donated his salary to charity.
On September 5, 2012, he returned after few seasons to his former club PAOK.
Greek national team
As a member of the junior Greek national team, Papadopoulos won the bronze medal at the 1998 FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship. He also competed with the Greek junior team at the 1999 FIBA Under-19 World Championship. With the senior Greek National Basketball Team Papadopoulos won the gold medal at the EuroBasket 2005 and he was voted the best center of the tournament.
With Greece, he also won the silver medal at the 2006 FIBA World Championship. Papadopulos was also a member of the Greek teams that competed at the EuroBasket 2001 and the EuroBasket 2007. He was also part of Greece's 2004 Summer Olympic Games team.
Papadopoulos was born in Krasnodar, then-USSR, on June 3, 1980, as Lazar Popandopulo (Лазарь Попандопуло) to Greek father and Russian mother. In 1990, he came to Thessaloniki with his parents Theodore and Marina, and younger sister Agapi. He got married in August 2002, and has two daughters, Daphne and Nefeli.
Awards and accomplishments
- 6x Greek League All-Star: (2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2013)
- 2x Euroleague Champion: (2002, 2012)
- 2x Greek League Champion: (2003, 2012)
- Greek Cup Champion: (2003)
- Eurocup Champion: (2006)
- All-Euroleague Second Team: (2007)
Greek national team
- 1998 FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship: Bronze
- 5x Acropolis Tournament Champion: (2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007)
- EuroBasket 2005: Gold
- 2006 FIBA World Championship: Silver
- Lazarospapadopoulos.gr Height: 213 cm Weight: 120 kg.
- Real Madrid loans Papadopoulos to Fortitudo Bologna.
- "All-Euroleague team, MVP announced". Euroleague. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- "Paok announced Lazaros Papadopoulos". thehoop.com. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- Lazaros Papadopoulos is a new BC Khimki player.
- OLYMPIACOS lands Papadopoulos.
- "Lazaros Papadopoulos is officially back in PAOK". Sportando. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- El Iberostar Tenerife ficha al pívot griego Lazaros Papadopoulos (Spanish)
- "CB Canarias, Lazaros Papadopoulos part ways". Sportando.net. Retrieved 1 March 2014.
- Sports.ru Лазарос ПАПАДОПУЛОС: Не уверен, что в России я заиграл бы так же (Russian).
- "Lazaros Papadopoulos". invictussportsgroup.com. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- Lazaros Papadopulos' Official Website (Greek)/(English)/(Spanish)/(Italian)
- NBA.com Profile
- Euroleague.net Profile
- Draftexpress.com Profile