|Directed by||Matt Hullum|
|Story by||Burnie Burns|
|Edited by||David James Ward|
|Distributed by||Fullscreen Films|
|Budget||$2.4 million (crowdfunding total)|
Lazer Team is an upcoming American science fiction comedy film directed by Matt Hullum and written by Burnie Burns, Chris Demarais, Josh Flanagan, and Hullum, taking place in present day. It stars Burns, Gavin Free, Michael Jones, Colton Dunn, Allie DeBerry, and Alan Ritchson. It is set to be released in 2015.
"Lazer Team begins decades ago when the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence project received a one time signal from outer space, which was never decoded. Or so we were told. Unbeknownst to the general public, the secretly translated signal said two things: One, we are not alone, and two, the galaxy is a dangerous place. Working in total secrecy, the US government has been training a single Champion of Earth – a warrior of incredible skill to don a suit of unimaginable power designed by new alien allies in preparation for Earth’s battle for survival against an evil race of aliens. Unfortunately, the suit never made it all the way to its intended destination. Instead of a lone savior, four hapless idiots find the suit and are thrust into the role of heroes as the titular Lazer Team."
- Burnie Burns as Hagan, a member of Lazer Team
- Gavin Free as Woody, a member of Lazer Team
- Michael Jones as Zach, a member of Lazer Team
- Colton Dunn as Herman, a member of Lazer Team
- Allie DeBerry as Mindy, Hagan's daughter
- Alan Ritchson as Adam, the Champion of the Earth
The concept for Rooster Teeth's first live action feature was in development as early as 2010. It was first announced at Halo Fest during PAX Prime 2011. In February 2014, Burns confirmed the company was going to launch a crowdfunding campaign for the film as a way to offer more support options while gaining publicity. Burns stated they were drawing inspirations from, "a lot of the sci-fi classics that we've grown up with," but were, "not making a parody and we’re not making a send-up- we’re making our own movie." Freddie Wong was a consultant in shaping their campaign.
In June 2014, the Indiegogo page for the film launched. The fundraiser reached its $650,000 goal in under 10 hours and broke Indiegogo’s record for the fastest film campaign to reach $700,000. Within three days, Lazer Team broke $1 million. As of 2015[update], Lazer Team holds the record for the highest funded film campaign on Indiegogo with over $2.4 million collected. On the final day of the campaign, in celebration of becoming the highest-funded Indiegogo film, Rooster Teeth released a special $5 perk for a single fan to be cast in a walk-on role. So many people selected within 20 seconds of the perk going live that it slowed the site's ticketing system and allowed 535 people to purchase it. Burns confirmed they will be used for a crowd scene in the film.
Burns explained during the campaign that as it makes more money, the film's budget scales up. "The initial budget for talent was based on making the movie on the bare minimum with us throwing in the remainder of the expected budget. For instance, that meant using talent almost exclusively from in-house. As the budget grows, so do our opportunities to approach all kinds of talent. The same applies to Visual FX, quality of props and costuming, lighting, crew, etc." Hullum corroborated, stating that since the campaign started they've been contacted by multiple distribution companies, media companies and acting agencies.
Principal photography began on October 14, 2014. Filming took place over 40 days in Austin and New Mexico. During the first week of production, filming took place at the Austin National Guard Armory, as well as the University of Texas at Austin. Filming wrapped on December 13. Reshoots started in late February 2015.
In January 2015 parent company Fullscreen announced that Lazer Team would be among the first titles in its newly launched feature film division. Rooster Teeth stated they are platform-agnostic but are aiming for a theatrical release and announced it will hold an international premiere in Australia after a local fan, William O'Malley, asked the Rooster Teeth panel on the subject at PAX Australia 2014. Australia was chosen as it was the next highest country to donate in the crowd funding campaign, behind the USA and slightly ahead of Canada. The first teaser was released to the public on February 20, followed by a full trailer release during SXSW on March 16th. 
- "Rooster Teeth - MIP Digital Screenings 2015". YouTube. MIP Digital Screenings 2015. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- Busch, Anita (July 7, 2014). "Indiegogo Record for Film Campaign: 'Lazer Team' Wins With $2.4M". Deadline.com. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved October 15, 2014.
- Shaw, Lucas (June 6, 2014). "‘Red vs. Blue’ Network Rooster Teeth Crowdfunding First Movie". TheWrap. Retrieved October 19, 2014.
- Silverman, Joshua (July 9, 2014). "RTX 2014: Interview with Matt Hullum of Rooster Teeth". Constantly Calibrating. YouTube. Retrieved July 20, 2014.
- Burns, Burnie (June 8, 2014). "Burnie Burns on Twitter: "@LucyZephyrme and two other writers. @SixRomeo & @ChrisDemarais". Twitter. Retrieved June 8, 2014.
- Ritchson, Alan (October 13, 2014). "Alan Ritchson on Twitter: "Trying so hard to get to Austin to shoot this awesome movie called Lazer Team. Universe 1. Me 0."". Twitter. Retrieved October 14, 2014.
- Jenkins, Ashley (October 14, 2014). "Lazer Team Production Kicks Off Today - The Know". The Know. YouTube.
- Rooster Teeth. "IndieGoGo Lazer Team Updates". IndieGoGo. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- "Lazer Team by Rooster Teeth". Rooster Teeth. Indiegogo. Retrieved June 8, 2014.
- Dunkleman, Barbara (October 14, 2014). "Rooster Teeth - LAZER TEAM PRODUCTION BEGINS!". Rooster Teeth Productions. Retrieved October 25, 2014.
- Konow, David (June 27, 2014). "Rooster Teeth's Burnie Burns On Why Massive Crowdfunding". Indiewire. SnagFilms. Retrieved October 29, 2014.
- Dobrzensky, Dominic (August 27, 2011). "Dominic on Twitter: "@BurnieBurns just announced @RoosterTeeth is working on a live action FEATURE length film!"". Twitter. Retrieved June 8, 2014.
- "The Godfather of Rooster Teeth and pioneer of the...". Glib Shark. Tumblr. February 26, 2014. Retrieved March 24, 2014.
- Schuchman, Matthew (June 17, 2014). "Interview: Burnie Burns, Co-Founder of Rooster Teeth and Creator of "Red vs. Blue"". Verbicide Magazine. Retrieved July 21, 2014.
- Shaw, Lucas (June 10, 2014). "The Key to Rooster Teeth's Million-Dollar Crowdfunding Campaign: 'The Economy of First'". TheWrap. Retrieved July 21, 2014.
- Hurst, Samantha (June 7, 2014). "Rooster Teeth's "Lazer Team" Blats Past $650,000 Goal in Just 24 Hours". Crowdfund Insider. Crowded Media Group. Retrieved June 8, 2014.
- Jaworski, Michelle (June 9, 2014). "Rooster Teeth raises over $1 million for feature film in 3 days". The Daily Dot. Retrieved July 21, 2014.
- Gutelle, Sam (June 9, 2014). "Rooster Teeth Indiegogo Campaign Raises $1,000,000 In Three Days". Tubefilter. Retrieved July 21, 2014.
- Lazar, Shira (July 12, 2014). "Burnie Burns: Rooster Teeth Movie Casts 535 FANS!?!". What's Trending. YouTube. Retrieved October 1, 2014.
- Burns, Burnie (June 11, 2014). "IndieGoGo FAQ". Rooster Teeth. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- Curtis, Tan (July 9, 2014). "Most Crowdfunded Feature in History Comes to Austin". KTEM News Radio. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- Hullum, Matt (July 1, 2014). "Lazer Team Casting at RTX!". Rooster Teeth. Retrieved October 19, 2014.
- "Open Call for Lazer Team Extras". Facebook. Burton Casting. Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- Burns, Burnie (October 15, 2014). "Burnie Burns on Twitter: "Shoot Day Number One. Here we go. #lazerteam"". Retrieved October 19, 2014.
- "RT PODCAST #300 - From New Mexico set of Lazer Team". RoosterTeeth. Retrieved 13 December 2014.
- Hullum, Matt (October 19, 2014). "Lazer Team - Week #1". Rooster Teeth. Retrieved October 19, 2014.
- "RoosterTeeth on Twitter: "This morning, #LazerTeam wrapped on filming. We cannot say enough about our AMAZING cast & crew! A group of wonderful, talented people."". Twitter.
- Jarvey, Natalie. "Sundance: YouTube Network Fullscreen Launches Film Division (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- Collis, Clark. "Four idiots suit up to save the world in exclusive teaser for Rooster Teeth's sci-fi comedy Lazer Team". EW.com. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 21 February 2015.