Leather Strip live 2011
|Labels||Zoth Ommog, Cleopatra Records, Metropolis Records, Bloodline Records, Alfa Matrix|
Leæther Strip is a Danish musical project founded on January 13, 1988 by Claus Larsen. Its influence has been most felt in the electronic body music and electro-industrial genres. Perhaps to a certain extent, it may have influenced various film score productions. Leæther Strip was one of the earliest and most prominent acts on Germany's now defunct Zoth Ommog record label. For distribution outside of Europe, the music has been licensed to the U.S. labels Cleopatra Records and Metropolis Records. After the demise of Zoth Ommog in 1999, Larsen signed to Bloodline Records, which only released a single before also going out of business. In 2005 Leæther Strip signed with the Belgian based label Alfa Matrix. On June 3, 2011, Larsen announced his split from Alfa Matrix in order to self release future material.
According to founder Claus Larsen, Leæther Strip is, and always will be, only him. Larsen was born on November 13, 1967 in Aalborg, Denmark. He first released music under the name of Leæther Strip in 1989. However, his 1995 release G.A.W.M.U.S. (Getting Away With Murder U. S.) included two early demos from 1982 and 1984, with the latter forming the unknown beginning of the band according to an interview conducted with Claus Larsen. In 1991, Larsen created a side-project called Klute in which he also remained the sole member.
In 1994, Larsen changed the sound of Leæther Strip, with the release of a synthesized semi classical album. Conceived as a soundtrack to a fictional film, it was named Serenade for the Dead. The releases since then have reincorporated electronic dance elements, and have redefined Leæther Strip into what Larsen calls, "symphonic electro".
Leæther Strip remained silent for several years after the release of the single Carry Me in 2000 and the official band website, which once contained a wealth of information regarding the project, was taken offline. In foreshadowing the return of his band, Larsen's remix of the band KiEw's song Graograman on the Diskette EP (2003) states at the beginning of the song, in a sing-song computer-generated voice, "Leæther Strip will return for more electronic mayhem". In an interview conducted late 2005, Larsen revealed that label issues, as well as personal concerns, caused the dormancy of the band during the 2000 - 2005 period.
October 28, 2005, marked the official return of Leæther Strip with the EP release Suicide Bombers on the Alfa Matrix label. Claus Larsen opened a blog to inform fans of his current activities and progress on the project. A string of releases followed including the 2-CD album After the Devastation, and the 2006 EP releases Walking on Volcanos and Fætish. Also in 2006, Claus Larsen released a free song via his MySpace page, a remix of Frank Tovey taught me things. The song was subsequently downloaded over 10,000 times.
On April 13 2007, Leæther Strip released the album The Giant Minutes to the Dawn. It was made available in several editions, including a special limited edition box-set which includes the band's first DVD release. According to various reviewers, the album constituted the "true" return of the band to classic Leæther Strip form.
In a post to his MySpace blog made in late November 2008, Larsen announced his intention to develop a live show for a small run of exclusive engagements in 2009. Two shows took place in Denmark in April 2009, and Leaether Strip has been confirmed to perform at the Power Strip Festival in the USA and the Amphi Festival in Germany during Summer 2009.
Via a video teaser on YouTube Claus Larsen announced that the first Leaether Strip album The Pleasure Of Penetration would be re-released as a remastered double CD set on November 13, 2007, Claus Larsen's birthday, under the title Retention n°1. The release is part of an ongoing box series through which Claus Larsen will re-release his complete back-catalogue via the Belgian label Alfa Matrix. Each re-release will have both the fully remastered version of the original album on disc 1 and on the second disc, a totally re-written and reinterpretation of some selected songs from the original album by Leaether Strip himself re-recorded with current technologies. The original track-list on disc 1 has been extended to 15 tracks with the addition of early 12" tracks and other rarities of the period.
Larsen's lyrics for Leaether Strip are often frank and direct, sometimes to the point of being hostile. Political songs include the anti-Nazi song "AEighty AEight" which contains the chorus "You are not human / You are not soldiers" as well as the song "Suicide Bombers" (On the Suicide Bombers EP) with its chorus question, "Who told you to die that way?" More frequently, Larsen explores his own personal issues in the same open fashion, resulting in many tracks that are simultaneously aggressive and introspective.
- 1990 - The Pleasure of Penetration
- 1990 - Science for the Satanic Citizen
- 1992 - Solitary Confinement
- 1993 - Underneath the Laughter
- 1994 - Serenade for the Dead
- 1995 - Legacy of Hate and Lust
- 1996 - The Rebirth of Agony
- 1997 - Self-Inflicted
- 2005 - After the Devastation (2 CD)
- 2007 - The Giant Minutes to the Dawn
- 2008 - Civil Disobedience (2 CD)
- 2009 - Ængelmaker (2 CD)
- 2009 - Yes I'm Limited V (2 CD)
- 2010 - Mental Slavery (2 CD)
- 2011 - Untold Stories – The Melancholic Sessions
- 2013 - Serenade for the Dead II
- EP/single releases
- 1989 - Japanese Bodies - 12"S
- 1990 - Aspects of Aggression - EP CD
- 1991 - Object V - EP CD
- 1991 - Material - EP CD
- 1994 - Positive Depression - EP CD
- 1997 - Anal Cabaret: A Tribute to Soft Cell - EP CD
- 2000 - Carry Me - CDS
- 2005 - Suicide Bombers - EP CD
- 2006 - Walking on Volcanos - EP CD
- 2006 - Fætish - EP CD
- 2008 - When Blood Runs Dark - Digital-only EP
- 2008 - Diægnosis - Digital-only EP
- 2012 - Object ÆP
- 2012 - In Broken Homes / Paranoia nr. 13 
- 1992 - Penetrate the Satanic Citizen
- 1993 - Fit for Flogging
- 1995 - Double or Nothing (2 CD)
- 1995 - Getting Away With Murder: Murders from 1982 to 1995
- 1996 - Best of Leæther Strip
- 1997 - Retrospective
- 2005 - Satanic Reasons: The Very Best Of (2 CD)
- Limited releases
- 1992 - Yes, I'm Limited - EP CD
- 1996 - Yes, I'm Limited Vol. II
- 1998 - Yes, I'm Limited Vol. III (2 CD)
- 2005 - ÆFTERSHOCK - CDS (only available with the After the Devastation limited box edition)
- 2006 - Hælloween - EP CD (only available with the Fætish limited box edition)
- 2007 - The Hourglass - EP CD (only available with the The Giant Minutes to the Dawn limited box edition)
- 2008 - One Nine Eight Two - CDS (only available with the Civil Disobedience limited box edition)
- 2009 - Yes, I'm Limited Vol. IV - EP CD (only available with the Ængelmaker limited box edition)
- DVD releases
- 2007 - Watch - DVD NSTC region 0 (only available with the limited box edition The Giant Minutes to the Dawn)
- Other releases
- 1999 - Serenade for the Dead (re-mastered) (2 CD)
- 2006 - After the Devastation (Limited 3 CD Special Bag Edition)
- Limited edition of the double album includes: After The Devastation" Limited Edition 3-CD Box Set, "Evacuate Or Die", Double Sided Printed T-Shirt, Poster and Deluxe Bag, Matri-X-traX Chapter I and some postcards
- 2006 - Fætish (Limited 2 CD Box)
- Limited to 2000 copies including "Hælloween" 5-track EP, some special fetish goodies (condom, button, postcards) and a booklet full of Leæther Strip fans fetish artwork.
- 2007 - The Giant Minutes to the Dawn (2 CD+DVD fan boxset)
- Limited edition including "The Hourglass" EP, "Watch" DVD, the "Trust your instinct" T-shirt and some fan goodies
- 2007 - Retention no.1 (2CD)
- Reedition of first album The Pleasure of Penetration (re-mastered) + The Pleasure of Reproduction which includes 2007 re-recordings of first album.
- 2008 - Retention no.2 (2CD)
- Reedition of second album Science for the Satanic Citizen and EP Object V (re-mastered) + Science for the Satanic Spawn which includes 2008 re-recordings of both aforementioned releases.
- 2011 - Louis Guidone - Meet Your Maker - LGCD06 - Guest Vocalist
- 2013 - Vaylon - Primus (Digital Album Mastering)
- 2013 - Vaylon - A Part Of Me (Remix & Mastering)
- 2014 - Vaylon - Primus VIP Edition (CD Mastering)
- 2014 - Vaylon - Magnum Opus (Digital Album Mastering)
- 2014 - Vaylon - Magnum Opus - VIP Edition Part One (CD Mastering)
- 2014 - Vaylon - Magnum Opus - VIP Edition Part Two (CD Mastering)
- "Claus Larsen fronts one of Europe's leading Electro-Industrial bands." Mick Mercer, The Hex Files: The Goth Bible, Woodstock: The Overlook Press, 1997, p. 24.
- :News: Leæther Strip Leaves Alfa Matrix Records COMA Music Magazine
- Comeback Interview 2005
- The 'true' comeback album for Leæther Strip
- Leaether Strip announces live plans for 2009
- YouTube video Leaether Strip
- Entire Leaether Strip back catalogue to be reissued as 2CD sets - first volume now available for ordering
- Larsen, Claus. "In Broken Homes / Paranoia nr. 13". Leæther Strip on Bandcamp. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Leæther Strip.|
- Strip Material - Fan Site : http://www.stripmaterial.com/
- Official Label webpage at Alfa Matrix
- Leæther Strip at MySpace
- Leæther Strip discography at MusicBrainz
- Discography of Leæther Strip at Discogs
- Discography of Leæther Strip at AMG
- Interview at Chain D.L.K.
- LIVE IN PARIS : http://www.videodrom.org/article.php?id=205