LeRoy Township, Lake County, Ohio
|LeRoy Township, Lake County, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Lake County
|• Total||25.7 sq mi (66.5 km2)|
|• Land||25.5 sq mi (65.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.6 km2)|
|Elevation||955 ft (291 m)|
|• Density||122.6/sq mi (47.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086422|
Located in the eastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Perry Township - north
- Madison Township - northeast
- Thompson Township, Geauga County - east
- Montville Township, Geauga County - southeast corner
- Hambden Township, Geauga County - south
- Concord Township - west
- Painesville Township - northwest corner
No municipalities are located in LeRoy Township.
Name and history
The first settlers in what is now LeRoy Township were Paul and Elijah Clapp, who arrived in 1802. LeRoy Township was established in 1820, but it was not made part of Lake County until 1840. During the Civil War, forty men from LeRoy Township served in the Union Army.
The January 1986 Northeastern Ohio Earthquake occurred in the southwestern portion of the township.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. As of 2009, the board is composed of chairman Chuck Klco and members Linda Burhenne and Richard VanPelt, and the clerk is Sharon Rodgers.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Lake County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "History of LeRoy Township". LeRoy Township, 2008. Accessed 2009-09-08.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Geographic Names Information System Results for "Leroy, Lake County, Ohio"
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- "Trustees/Fiscal Officer". LeRoy Township, 2008. Accessed 2009-09-08.