Festival au Désert
The Festival au désert ("Festival in the Desert") is an annual concert in Mali, showcasing traditional Tuareg music as well as music from around the world. From 2001 until 2009 the festival was held in Essakane but because of security issues, from 2010 the festival has been held on the outskirts of Timbuktu.
The Tuareg band Tinariwen first garnered international attention with their performance at the 2001 Festival.
A French-language documentary entitled Le Festival au Désert was filmed at the 2003 festival. Performers include Tartit, Oumou Sangaré, Lo'Jo, Tinariwen, Robert Plant with Justin Adams, Blackfire, Django, and Ali Farka Touré. The DVD contains English subtitles, and an audio CD of the concert, Festival in the Desert, was also released.
- Tombouctou : Le Festival du Désert aura bien lieu (in French), Primature: Portail Officiel du Governement Mali, 28 October 2010, retrieved 25 December 2011.
- Togola, Diakaridia (11 January 2010), "Festival sur le désert : Essakane a vibré au rythme de la 10ème édition", Le Quotidien de Bamako (in French), retrieved 25 December 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Festival au Désert|
- Festival au Désert official site (English)
- "Audio slideshow: Desert festival", BBC News, 2 February 2007
- "Video report: Festival au Désert 2008", Guardian Unlimited, 18 January 2008
|This Mali-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This music festival-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|