Le Grand, California
|Merced County and the state of California|
|• Total||1.140 sq mi (2.953 km2)|
|• Land||1.140 sq mi (2.953 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||253 ft (77 m)|
|• Density||1,500/sq mi (560/km2)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||0277537 |
Le Grand (also, Legrand) is a census-designated place (CDP) in Merced County, California, United States. Le Grand is located 14 miles (23 km) east-southeast of Merced, at an elevation of 253 feet (77 m). The population was 1,659 at the 2010 census, down from 1,760 at the 2000 census.
At the 2000 census, according to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP had a total area of 3.6 square miles (9.3 km2), all of it land.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Le Grand had a population of 1,659. The population density was 1,455.0 people per square mile (561.8/km²). The racial makeup of Le Grand was 869 (52.4%) White, 19 (1.1%) African American, 35 (2.1%) Native American, 17 (1.0%) Asian, 1 (0.1%) Pacific Islander, 659 (39.7%) from other races, and 59 (3.6%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1,357 persons (81.8%).
The Census reported that 1,659 people (100% of the population) lived in households, 0 (0%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 0 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 458 households, out of which 246 (53.7%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 290 (63.3%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 74 (16.2%) had a female householder with no husband present, 27 (5.9%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 24 (5.2%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 0 (0%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 59 households (12.9%) were made up of individuals and 32 (7.0%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.62. There were 391 families (85.4% of all households); the average family size was 3.96.
The population was spread out with 534 people (32.2%) under the age of 18, 178 people (10.7%) aged 18 to 24, 418 people (25.2%) aged 25 to 44, 367 people (22.1%) aged 45 to 64, and 162 people (9.8%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31.5 years. For every 100 females there were 99.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.3 males.
There were 503 housing units at an average density of 441.1 per square mile (170.3/km²), of which 315 (68.8%) were owner-occupied, and 143 (31.2%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 1.9%; the rental vacancy rate was 10.0%. 1,145 people (69.0% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 514 people (31.0%) lived in rental housing units.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,760 people, 463 households, and 414 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 491.4 people per square mile (189.8/km²). There were 482 housing units at an average density of 134.6 per square mile (52.0/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 49.77% White, 0.57% African American, 1.53% Native American, 0.28% Asian, 0.40% Pacific Islander, 42.50% from other races, and 4.94% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 78.81% of the population.
There were 463 households out of which 53.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.7% were married couples living together, 16.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 10.4% were non-families. 8.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.80 and the average family size was 3.98.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 40.2% under the age of 18, 9.4% from 18 to 24, 25.3% from 25 to 44, 16.4% from 45 to 64, and 8.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 25 years. For every 100 females there were 96.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.2 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $28,894, and the median income for a family was $29,565. Males had a median income of $26,094 versus $22,596 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $10,389. About 18.5% of families and 23.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 27.8% of those under age 18 and 11.1% of those age 65 or over.
In the state legislature Le Grand is located in the 12th Senate District, represented by Republican Anthony Cannella, and in the 21st Assembly District, represented by Democrat Adam Gray. Federally, Le Grand is located in California's 18th congressional district, which has a Cook PVI of D +4 and is represented by Democrat Dennis Cardoza.
- U.S. Census
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Le Grand, California
- "Le Grand". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-02-16.
- Durham, David L. (1998). California's Geographic Names: A Gazetteer of Historic and Modern Names of the State. Quill Driver Books. p. 792. ISBN 9781884995149.
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Will Gerrymandered Districts Stem the Wave of Voter Unrest?". Campaign Legal Center Blog. Retrieved 2007-10-20.