Le Puy, Gironde
||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the French Wikipedia. (July 2012)|
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Eric Fellet|
|Area1||8.15 km2 (3.15 sq mi)|
|• Density||48/km2 (120/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||33345 / 33580|
|Elevation||18–115 m (59–377 ft)
(avg. 27 m or 89 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Le Puy lies 65 km (40 mi) from Bordeaux on the intersection of the D15 and the D16 and 1 km (0.62 mi) from Monségur across the river Dropt.
The economy is agricultural, with wheat, sunflowers and soya being grown in recent years to complement the more traditional plums and tobacco.
The locality produces the famous Entre deux mers wine.
Mill reservoirs can provide good fishing for roach, carp and pike.
The region is well known for its cèpes (boletus mushroom).
The alluvial plain of the Dropt is characterized by boulbène (a soil composed of clay and sand) terraces, rising to foothills of molasse (chalky sandstone sedimentary deposits) with a few hillocks or the edges of chalky plateaus.
The town was a halting place on the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.
The Sisters of St. Joseph were founded in Le Puy in 1650 by Jesuit Priest Jean Pierre Medaille.
The town lost 10 soldiers during World War I - see:
Its inhabitants are known as Puylots.
- Valley of the Dropt industrial dairy 1945. Manufactures butter and milk powder;
- Archives record three windmills at Saint-Batz;
- Parish church of Saint Anne;
- Friday market in Monségur, a 13th-century bastide (walled town).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Le Puy (Gironde).|
- Valley of the Dropt
- Weather for Le Puy
- Financial Data for Le Puy from the Ministry of the Economy, Finances and Industry
- Tax information for Le Puy (in English)
- Closest communes to Le Puy
- Ministry of Culture site
- Le Puy on Villorama site
- My hometown (Monclocher) site (Location of townhall only)
- Map and list of communes of Gironde
- Map of Le Puy on Michelin (in English)
- Map of Le Puy on the Institut Géographique National site
- Map of Le Puy on Mapquest (in English)
- Le Puy on the Cassini map
- Map of Le Puy on Mappy (in English)
- Location of Le Puy on a map of France
- Calculate straight-line distance from Le Puy to other towns in Gironde