Le diable à quatre (opera)
|Christoph Willibald Gluck|
Le diable à quatre (The Devil to Pay) is an opéra comique in three acts by Christoph Willibald Gluck. The French-language libretto is by Michel-Jean Sedaine and Pierre Baurans, after a translation by Claude-Pierre Patu of the 1731 ballad opera by Charles Coffey entitled The Devil to Pay, or The Wives Metamorphos’d. It was first performed at Laxenburg on May 28, 1759. The work was a popular success. Joseph Haydn used a melody from it, "Je n’aimais pas le tabac beaucoup (I didn’t like tobacco much)” in the first movement of his symphony Le soir.
Klaus Hortschansky has noted that Le diable à quatre is one of Gluck's few stageworks where the composer neither used musical material from prior works nor recycled material from it into future works. Bruce Brown has discussed Gluck's authorship of the music in detail, and has also edited the work for the Gluck Sämtliche Werke.
|Role||Voice type||Premiere Cast,
|Jacques, a cobbler, Margot's husband||baritone|
The story concerns an ill-natured Marquise. An astrologer, to whom she had refused shelter at her chateau, transforms her into the wife of a surly cobbler named Jacques and transforms the cobbler’s sweet-natured wife into the Marquise. After the Marquise learns her lesson, the astrologer reverses the spell.
- Brown, Bruce Alan (1992), 'Diable à quatre, Le' in The New Grove Dictionary of Opera, ed. Stanley Sadie (London) ISBN 0-333-73432-7
- Clark, Caryl, Review of New Directions for Haydn Research: Internationaler Joseph Haydn Kongress, Wien, 1982 (edited by Eva Badura-Skoda) (Spring 1988). The Journal of Musicology, 6 (2): pp. 245-257.
- Churgin, Bathia, "Music Reviews: Six Symphonies a più strumenti, opus 4 (Pierre van Maldere; edited by Craig Lister) and Sinfonien 1761 bis 1763 (Joseph Haydn; edited by Jürgen Braun and Sonja Gerlach)" (June 1993). Notes (2nd Ser.), 49 (4): pp. 1630-1632.
- Selden, Margery Stomne, Review of Parodie und Entlehnung im Schaffen Christoph Willibald Glucks by Klaus Hortschansky (Spring 1976). Journal of the American Musicological Society, 29 (1): pp. 148-151.
- Smith, Marian, Review of Gluck and the French Theatre in Vienna by Bruce Alan Brown ( Autumn 1993). Dance Research Journal, 25 (2): pp. 34-36.
- Charlton, David, Review of Gluck and the French Theatre in Vienna by Bruce Alan Brown (March 1995). Cambridge Opera Journal, 7 (1): pp. 73-79.
- Synopsis on Naxos Records