Lead Hill, Arkansas
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2007)|
|Lead Hill, Arkansas|
Location in Boone County and the state of Arkansas
|• Total||0.6 sq mi (1.4 km2)|
|• Land||0.5 sq mi (1.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||853 ft (260 m)|
|• Density||478.3/sq mi (205/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||72630, 72644|
|GNIS feature ID||0058050|
Lead Hill is located at (36.414815, -92.906907).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2), of which 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) (12.96%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 287 people, 126 households, and 86 families residing in the town. The population density was 605.2 people per square mile (235.8/km²). There were 144 housing units at an average density of 303.7 per square mile (118.3/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 96.86% White, 0.35% Asian, and 2.79% from two or more races. 0.35% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 126 households out of which 28.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.1% were married couples living together, 10.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.7% were non-families. 27.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.28 and the average family size was 2.78.
In the town the population was spread out with 23.7% under the age of 18, 3.8% from 18 to 24, 24.7% from 25 to 44, 22.0% from 45 to 64, and 25.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 90.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 79.5 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $30,625, and the median income for a family was $32,500. Males had a median income of $24,375 versus $18,864 for females. The per capita income for the town was $13,051. About 9.3% of families and 15.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 23.4% of those under the age of eighteen and 12.8% of those sixty five or over.
Lead Hill first appeared in the US Census in 1920.
Due to its elevation, northerly latitude, and surrounding topography, Lead Hill often experiences the lowest minimum temperatures during Arkansas's cooler months. This distinction, though, is often shared with the small Buffalo River hamlet of Gilbert.
Points of interest
- "Colorful Names". Arkansas Department of Parks & Tourism. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- US Census Bureau. School District Reference Map (2010 Census): Boone County, AR (Map). http://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/dc10map/sch_dist/st05_ar/c05009_boone/DC10SD_C05009_001.pdf. Retrieved 20110628.
- Map of Lead Hill (US Census Bureau)
- Boone County Historical and Railroad Society, Inc.
- Lead Hill School District
- Town government information
- Detailed 2000 US Census statistics
- Boone County School District Reference Map (US Census Bureau, 2010)